Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Coach
You completely change defenses and then wonder about the foul count changing in your favor. Instead of patting yourself on the back for doing your job (adjusting to the game) you decide to make it seem as though you won only because the refs gave you some fouls after you complained. Bizarre at best.

And for those who think zones protect players from fouls, I have often seen teams (mine included) that deny the ball well in man, but miss assignments in zones and pick up cheap fouls for late reactions to the ball. So I am willing to believe that your change saved your team, not some change in attitude you fostered in the refferees.

But then again, it was probably your great manner of handling referees that got you the game. Too bad you couldn't win it by coaching your players to be the better team on the floor that day.
Darn, you almost make me want to move Maryland. NOT!

Seriously, good thoughts on this situation.

BTW, are you going to be doing any AAU in Virginia this year? I am hoping to ref some and we may cross paths.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

We may do the Fairfax Stars tournament in early April, and of course Kenny Farmer's stuff at Mt. Vernon every weekend is always a good backup plan for any other tournaments that fall through. I have yet to see a Vogues schedule, and we don't know where our qualifier will be played. We do try to avoid the region prior to regionals - no free scouting service here!

We are planning on a fair amount of Baltimore weekends, with a couple of PA tourneys in the mix (Harrisburg and Red Lion it tooks like). I know we have some PIAA refs on this board, and I have found the officiating there to be of a pretty consistently high standard compared with what we get dealt here at times. Not sure why that is, but that has been my experience. Causes us to go back every year!
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
but I don't know how else you explain the foul difference from me getting no calls to me expressing myself to the official getting the T and then I got every single call in the second half.
Coincidentally, I spent a few minutes last night trying to train my daughter to flip a quarter to always come up "heads".

After she flipped it a few times, I noticed that it had come up "tails" 12 times and "heads" only 3 times. So I yelled at her.

She yelled back, and then flipped the coin a few more times -- 16 "heads" and only 4 "tails." It must be that my yelling worked.

Hmmm... Go to the bank and ask them if they've ever seen their money do that before.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 07:48pm
BBallCoach

Great Feedback so far:)

Wow guys,

Thanks for all of the great feedback and your opinons on my game. While I appreciate all of you that say that the completly one sided calling for my team in the second half has nothing to do with my T and explaining my displeasure to the zebra who I feel was not calling a good game has nothing to do with it, I beg to differ. I believe all zebras are humans it was once said on here and hold grudges, make mistakes, will get you blah blah. Therefore I feel that on this night those two realized they were calling the game one sided and after I explained to them my mistake, I was a good boy and sat on the bench and didnt bother them and they began to make up for their poor first half.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Why do you guys even respond to these posts? All he's doing is goading you. Unless you agree with his one sided view, he's going to group you into his little "Hypocrite" category.

BTW, when did the word hell become vulgarity? The filter on this site doesn't even censor the word.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Why do you guys even respond to these posts? All he's doing is goading you. Unless you agree with his one sided view, he's going to group you into his little "Hypocrite" category.

BTW, when did the word hell become vulgarity? The filter on this site doesn't even censor the word.
I think the word hell became vulgar about the time Chuck saw this picture:

I can hear him now: "Hell hell hell bloody hell hell beyond all recognition hell hell hell!!!!!!!!!!"
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
I'm surprised that nobody has noted the subtext of what BBCoach is saying. His team got up 14-0. Obviously at that point he wasn't complaining about the officiating. I have yet to see a coach with such fast start whine to the refs. At some point, the opposing team went on a run and BBCoach, by his own admission, blamed the refs for it and did it vocally. The result: his lead evaporated and he was given a T. After the T, he presumably behaved himself and his team righted the ship and went on to win the game. BBCoach should be thanking the officials for the T which forced him to shift focus to coaching from the refs.

This exact storyline is typical for many games, particularly sub-varsity games where the players are more emotional and less in control. The coach has a tremendous amount of control over the reactions of parents and players. Most average teams will take any excuse for failure that you give them, and blaming the refs is tantamount to giving players excuses for failure. I've noticed that when the coach is BSing about our calls that I'm more likely to have a player whine about being fouled after a missed shot when it is evident that there was no contact than if the coach is not whining. Many players are looking for excuses for failure and coaches give them that excuse by accusing the refs of cheating, like you did BBCoach. The more a coach complains, often the worse his team plays. That's why "working the refs" usually backfires and it's also probably why your team gave up a huge lead. COACH AND TEACH THE PLAYERS. It is the job of every coach to teach his/her players to focus only on what they can control. No matter what you think, you can't control the refs.

By the way: The comment about, "Who's paying you" could land you a flagrant T with some officials I know.
This post is right on point. COACH AND TEACH THE PLAYERS!

LET ME REF!!!!!!
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Importance of "T"

Quote:
Why do you guys even respond to these posts?
Don't you people know a mole when you read one? BBallCoach is the equivalent of a computer worm virus. His/Her real name is BallbreakerCoach. He/She gives new meaning to the love/hate relationships referees have for coaches. He/She can't stand the fact that you have the ultimate authority over him/her during a game. He/She is laughing at you for responding to his/her posts since there are no acceptable answers to those questions. This is his/her way of getting back at you for all those phantom fouls he/she believes you called at one time against his/her team. Make no mistake, his thread's sole intent is to bash officials. This dude/dudess is a sick puppy who won't even identify where he/she is from! Can you hear me know?

Note: BBallcoach is probably a dude, BTW, a politically correct
a$$umption about him on my part. If that is true, he is probably the alter ego of MTD. Only kidding.....
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Re: Importance of

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:
Don't you people know a mole when you read one? BBallCoach is the equivalent of a computer worm virus. His/Her real name is BallbreakerCoach. He/She gives new meaning to the love/hate relationships referees have for coaches. He/She can't stand the fact that you have the ultimate authority over him/her during a game. He/She is laughing at you for responding to his/her posts since there are no acceptable answers to those questions. This is his/her way of getting back at you for all those phantom fouls he/she believes you called at one time against his/her team. Make no mistake, his thread's sole intent is to bash officials. This dude/dudess is a sick puppy who won't even identify where he/she is from! Can you hear me know?
My point exactly.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Importance of "T"

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Because of this and the advantage/disadvantage rule, they should skip the season and go right to the playoffs.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We may do the Fairfax Stars tournament in early April, and of course Kenny Farmer's stuff at Mt. Vernon every weekend is always a good backup plan for any other tournaments that fall through. I have yet to see a Vogues schedule, and we don't know where our qualifier will be played. We do try to avoid the region prior to regionals - no free scouting service here!

We are planning on a fair amount of Baltimore weekends, with a couple of PA tourneys in the mix (Harrisburg and Red Lion it tooks like). I know we have some PIAA refs on this board, and I have found the officiating there to be of a pretty consistently high standard compared with what we get dealt here at times. Not sure why that is, but that has been my experience. Causes us to go back every year!
Might get to see you guys in either Farmer's or Stars tournament. BTW, RecRef and I are in the same association -- maybe we will work together on your game.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Might get to see you guys in either Farmer's or Stars tournament. BTW, RecRef and I are in the same association -- maybe we will work together on your game.
If I get either of you reffing one of my games, I want you to know now that I think you do a very biased job of refereeing the warm-up, so I want the foul calls in both halves to go my way
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Importance of

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:
My point exactly.
Ditto,,, and this little sissy is NOT a coach.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
If I get either of you reffing one of my games, I want you to know now that I think you do a very biased job of refereeing the warm-up, so I want the foul calls in both halves to go my way
Don’t you worry, they will “go your way!”

Does raise a question of ethics, I guess we will have to let the other coach know the situation.

When you know your schedule E-mail us so we can reserve a game.

Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
OK, but only if you chirp, chirp, chirp. Otherwise, I might think I am doing a good job.