The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 07:22pm
BBallCoach

27th annual invitational tournament this weekend. My team comes in as the number one team in the West division to play the number one team in the East who is also the host school. We jump out to a 14-0 run and then it seemed to me that the whistle started going against us and before you knew it the home team was right back in the game. With about one minute to go in the first half my pg appeared to me to be bumped and knocked to the ground. Whistle call is a travel, I must admit I had enough at this point and began to give the official an ear full, he was taking it until I said those magic words..." I realize the other team is paying your salary but you have to call the game the same for both sides." Tweet went Mr. Zebra and then he began to curse at me that they were from the neighboring state and didn't care who won or lost the game and that if I said one more word I was out of the game. Any way home team makes both foul shots we go into half time tied up at 26. Half time stats my team 12 fouls, home team 3 fouls. Second half it's amazing how the whistles went my way. Any call that was questionable went in my favor. We end up winning by 7 and the foul stats for that half my team 4 home team 16. Now I know most officials will say that they do not make make up calls, but I don't know how else you explain the foul difference from me getting no calls to me expressing myself to the official getting the T and then I got every single call in the second half. I look forward to hearing your feedback. This post is not meant to bash the officials of my game just looking to see if any other officials have done this or could explain the huge turn around in calls.

PS: Both teams played hard the whole game so it is not like one team stopped taking the ball to the basket in either half.

Thanks
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This post is not meant to bash the officials of my game just looking to see if any other officials have done this or could explain the huge turn around in calls.

Thanks [/B]
Yah right, your game is up. Most of us already know your game. And I still don't believe you are a coach.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 07:42pm
BBallCoach

Bart I mean this to be a serious question about a situation that happened this weeken

Bart,

Sorry if you did not take my question as serious, but this happened to me yesterday I was just looking for officials feedback as they have ever done this or just any thoughts they had. Sorry if you dont believe me, but I thought I wrote it in a way that it would not be insulting to officials. Sorry if it offended you.

Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 07:46pm
BBallCoach

Ref18-Thanks for your response

The fouls called I can not change and that is how they finished up, I'm just looking for feedback as I have heard that if you make a good pt while you may get a T if you have put an idea in the officials head it might help you out. Im not looking for trouble just feedback
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe your kids figured out they weren't going to get away with murder when the officials called the fouls on them, and your T made them less agressive.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

You questioned the officials integrity, that is not anywhere close to making a good point.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Re: Ref18-Thanks for your response

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
Im not looking for trouble just feedback
Here are a few suggestions: Stop looking for how to get an "edge" with the officials. Think more about why your players are fouling or traveling and how to help them play better and less about whether the officials are making correct calls.

In short, do your job and coach your players. Let the officials do their job and call the fouls and violations.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 08:00pm
BBallCoach

Ref 18

What I meant to be my good point was that they were calling the game one sided and not fair for both teams. I feel in the second half they must have felt the same way because the calls went my way. Early on in the first half one of my girls bumped a girl going up for a lay up and she went crashing hard to the ground and a fan began to yell at the officials and had to be removed from the game so it was a very heated and tightly contested game. Just trying to get some feedback on this situation thanks for taking the time to read my post Ref18
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

If a coach ever says that to me, i'm not changing the way i call the game. I call a game consistantly from start to finish.
I have never seen or heard of the refs favouring one team over the other because a coach questioned their integrity, i could care less how good of a point your making. If i was doing the game, every time after that T i heard you say anything, i'd see your lips moving, but all i'm hearing is 3 in the key (I got that one from someone on this board, but i forget who).

And your still questioning the officials integrity with the contents of this post. Give it up, let the officials worry about officiating, and you worry about coaching.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 08:08pm
BBallCoach

Ref18

Thanks for your feedback, but how do you explain the change in the fouls for the second half??
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know, my guess would be that your team was less agressive, and fouling less. I've seen it happen countless times where a team has monopolized the foul count in the first half, and commit 1 or 2 fouls in the second.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 08:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
If a coach ever says that to me, i'm not changing the way i call the game. I call a game consistantly from start to finish.
I have never seen or heard of the refs favouring one team over the other because a coach questioned their integrity, i could care less how good of a point your making. If i was doing the game, every time after that T i heard you say anything, i'd see your lips moving, but all i'm hearing is 3 in the key (I got that one from someone on this board, but i forget who).

And your still questioning the officials integrity with the contents of this post. Give it up, let the officials worry about officiating, and you worry about coaching.
I believe that was mine, Ref18, but I'm not positive enough to get a copy right.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

I think it was you too. Its a great little saying, and there's truth to it. Its happened to me many times.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Well, none of us saw the game so there is NO WAY we can answer your question.

So, I'll ask a few of my own:

Did you change defenses?
Did you change offense?
Did you stop pressing or start pressing?
Did the other team change defese?
Did your players get a clue and stop hacking the heck out of the other team?

I can go on forever, you really need to ask yourself questions and analyze the game, not the refs.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 08:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Coach, I'll answer your question as to why I think the foul discrepancy happened. Chances are that after your T, you shut your trap and coached rather than offiated. Chances are your kids were listening to you coach rather than listening to you whine.
I can tell you without a doubt that I've never made any calls based on which team was paying my check, and any overt statement that challenged me on that would earn at least a T. It also wouldn't get you any calls in the 2nd half that you otherwise wouldn't have received.
Perhaps your pg traveled before the bump (I had one of those the other day), or whatever.
All I can say for sure is that you shouldn't give yourself too much credit for "working the refs." Frankly, with the comment you made, you're quite lucky you were allowed to finish the game.
Sometimes there's nothing like a T to whack some sense into a coach and get him to stop officiating and start coaching.