The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Question

What is everyone's opinion of players wearing rubber bands on the wrists and ankles. I try to make them take it off under the dangerous equipment rule, but I get some resistance (and moaning) from players. For some reason they think they are no different than the big fuzzy wristbands, I see them as more harmful than that. What does everyone think, or how do you handle it? Our state is clear, make 'em take them off, but we know all states are not the same.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Thumbs up

You said it yourself, "Your state is clear..." If so, enforce it.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Rubber Bands

Rubber bands, unlike sweatbands, have an increased tendency to break. As we all know, when they do break they also can "fly." This poses a significant danger to the eyes of other players (and thus leaves the official who permits a player to wear them open to liability)
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

THey are specifically prohibited in NCAA games.

I'll use that to not allow them in Fed games.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Angry Everybody pays!!

Rubber bands are prohibited. I treat them as jewelry. If an opponent's finger gets caught in the rubber band, it could possibly get broken...

...then you have a delay, supper gets cold, wife gets pissed, and then you get no (expletive)...

Get the point?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

That's a good point...

the sweatbands are very similar to the rubber bands. How do justify? Me personally I make the players take them off because the fact that it could pull an opponents hair which won't be pretty. I could be an eye hazard. But what I tell the players is it's considered to be jewelery, because it has no sports function.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Making people take jewellry off

With regard medical alert bracelets-it's better to tell players "you cannot participate with that on"-Turn it around -make them decide-the same ploy works well with all other accoutrements you feel may be dangerous.Much better than ordering them to take it off-especially when you consider the liability ramifications regarding the medical alert bracelets.
Pistol
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 01:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb Re: Making people take jewellry off

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
With regard medical alert bracelets-it's better to tell players "you cannot participate with that on"-Turn it around -make them decide-the same ploy works well with all other accoutrements you feel may be dangerous.Much better than ordering them to take it off-especially when you consider the liability ramifications regarding the medical alert bracelets.
Pistol
We have their coach hold all medic alert bracelets and necklaces.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

You cannot make them take off medic alert braclets. I have never had a kid wear one, but I would just have him wrap tape around it.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Brian ,
I don't think you got the point. We tell them they can't play with them on-if they want to play its their decision to take them off. In our area "taping' over is not allowed.
Pistol
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

I understand your point, but let me stress I don't think this will happen very often, if ever, but if it does we have to follow the rule book.

Maybe they changed the wording in the rulebook (I don't have my copy), but if the team or coach pushes back, we cannot prevent them from participating if it is a medic alert braclet (Or religous medal). If the state overrules that point it is one thing, but we cannot change the rules on our own. The rule books says you can tape them down, so that is fine with me. We play unless or until it presents a danger during the game.

Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Medical....

As for medical bracelets - I tell them to tape over them and then suggest a sweat band over that. I never check under players' sweat bands.

My experience is that these fit so snugly the risk of injury to someone else is rather minimal. The liability if something happens and they end up going to a hospital without it is too high. (I'm actually more concerned for their health implications than my personal liability. I carry insurance.) Even if I try to word it so that it is their own decision, the fact is I enfluenced them to take it off. I don't want to live with the possible outcomes of that scenario.

I expect an Emergency Room to be thorough enough to find the bracelet under the sweat band and tape.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
Brian ,
I don't think you got the point. We tell them they can't play with them on-if they want to play its their decision to take them off. In our area "taping' over is not allowed.
Pistol
Yes, Peter -- but you officiate in BC, right? Most of us officiate inthe US and the FED rules specifically allow a medic alert bracelet to be worn, if "it complies with the three criteria on equipment". Taping it down generally makes it comply.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
Exclamation

Fed Case book referance 3.5A
'nuff said

Tyler
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Post Medical Alert Bracelets

Thanks Guys,
Yes I do officiate in B.C.
We have just reverted to using Men's NCAA rules after over 25 years of using FIBA rules. There doesn't seem to be any ruling or case in this year's NCAA Men's rule book that covers this. It is interesting to know that Fed does cover this. I will discuss this with my Association and maybe we will become more lenient regarding this Ruling.