Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wedickinson
wonder what the call would be from some of these refs that want to continue play if their shoe comes off??????

Personnally, if A has the ball and play has settled ....no fast breaks, then i would stop play for the shoe, eye glasses, contacts, .....common sense officiating!
Having my shoe come off or anything that hinders my ability to do my job is an entirely different situation. I equate the shoe coming off to a kid who gets injured, but clearly not seriously. You let the play continue until a time when it's appropriate to blow the whistle and take care of the problem. That could be immediately or after a developing play. A player's shoe coming off is not that big of a deal, but people sure like to overdramatize things in this forum. Every situation is different and is usually dealt with accordingly. There's no absolute way of handling unusual situations - you just try to do the right thing, with safety being your first consideration.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Stop play!

Some people treat a basketball game like it is a life or death situation. If nothing is going on stop the game and put the shoe back on. What the hell difference does it make?? If the coach complains about this, well big deal, he is probably complaining about everything else, too! No one ever lost a game because some official stopped the game to put a shoe on.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by wedickinson
wonder what the call would be from some of these refs that want to continue play if their shoe comes off??????

Personnally, if A has the ball and play has settled ....no fast breaks, then i would stop play for the shoe, eye glasses, contacts, .....common sense officiating!
Frankly for "some of these refs" a sohe coming off would be very, very unlikely. Doesn't take much to tie your laces tight enough to keep your shoes on...if you need new laces they're only like a buck & a half. In other words "some of these refs" take care of their equipment and start the game prepared.

Glasses and contatcs are NOT the same as shoes.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Stop play!

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
Some people treat a basketball game like it is a life or death situation. If nothing is going on stop the game and put the shoe back on. What the hell difference does it make?? If the coach complains about this, well big deal, he is probably complaining about everything else, too! No one ever lost a game because some official stopped the game to put a shoe on.
Some people treat a shoe coming off like it is a life or death situation. If nothing is going on the player can stop and put the shoe back on. What the hell difference does it make?? If the coach complains about this, well big deal, he is probably complaining about everything else, too! No one ever lost a game because some player stopped playing the game to put a shoe on.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Smile What are you saying?

Dan_ref is checking your shoe laces to see if they are ready to work a game part of your pre-game?
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: What are you saying?

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
Dan_ref is checking your shoe laces to see if they are ready to work a game part of your pre-game?
You don't check your shoelaces?
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Not a bad idea!

No but one time I wish I would of because when I got to the game I had two left footed shoes. One was soft leather so I put it on my right foot and worked the game. People thought I was visually handicapped and physically handicapped lloking at both my toes pointed to the right!
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:52pm
Huck Finn

Glasses and shoes are very different. Shoes will take care of themselves. A player will continue to play D and if a player has a chance to shoot a layup what do we think that player is going to do with one shoe on? He is going to shoot the layup! See this play all the time on TV. Play on. I wouldn't have a problem with my partner stopping play at the right time for this though. I would just play on. I know a guy who will get pissed if you stop the game for the net after a made basket because it doesn't say anything about it in the rules.
On another note, why do these shoes come off? If someone steps on the back of your shoe then I can see it but just to come off I don't see. I was a kid who loved to play outside. I loved it so much that I didn't want to take the time to tie my shoe more than once. The solution to this is to double-tie it the first time. Is it cool to tie your shoes in the middle of a game? We know they have all kinds of other stupid things that they think are cool. I still double-tie my shoes everyday. I guess I still only want to do it once!
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:53pm
Huck Finn

Wink

That ^ is a long post for a stupid shoe. I......Oh I have to go, my shoe just came untied.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
That ^ is a long post for a stupid shoe. I......Oh I have to go, my shoe just came untied.
Wanna time out?

If not then you better keep posting...
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Not a bad idea!

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
No but one time I wish I would of because when I got to the game I had two left footed shoes.
DJ went home to change, but the pair at home was just as bad.

Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

As for safety...a guy I work with, his wife broke her ankle a few weeks back when she stepped on her sons shoe that he left beside the couch. Could you explain why you didn't stop play with a potential safety hazard on the floor if someone did get hurt?
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Neck Ref
As for safety...a guy I work with, his wife broke her ankle a few weeks back when she stepped on her sons shoe that he left beside the couch. Could you explain why you didn't stop play with a potential safety hazard on the floor if someone did get hurt?
Every play is a potential safety hazard. At any given time anyone can step on someone else's foot, or fall down because the floor is slippery, or any number of reasons. A player can still play while missing a shoe. If either team is in the midst of a developing play, it would probably be a bad move to blow the play dead until the play is over. While it's unfortunate that someone broke their ankle from stepping on a shoe once, I'll bet people have broken an ankle simply from stepping on nothing, their ankle turned and whoops. Stuff happens.

Sometimes a player will fall on the floor (no foul involved) in the key during a rebound or other play, and someone might step on him and cause injury to the fallen player or themselves. Should we blow every play dead when a player falls on the floor in the key for the sake of safety? Come on.

[Edited by Smitty on Feb 12th, 2004 at 01:56 PM]
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Clever!

Very, very clever, Bob!
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
When i see a shoe fly, i blow the whistle right away. And send the person with the shoe to their bench to fix it.
And what rule are you using to send a player out of the game, instead of just letting them put the shoe back on?
The same rule that lets them stop the clock during a live ball without a TO. IMO, I'm not stopping the game.

Mregor