The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

I've been doing too many girls games lately where players, coaches and parents have come up to me, even started yelling at me because i wouldn't let their daughter, whom just got her ears pierced, play with the earrings in.

The main plea i get is, they let me play with them last game, can't you let it go just this once? Personally i think that this is a load of bullsh*t. Most of us have more sense than that.

But there are some officials out there who allow players to put tape over earrings and play. I have this message for you, stop it now, the risks outweigh the benifits. I'm sure not many people would be looking forward to a lawsuit because some girls earlobes got ripped when she dove for the ball.

After doing a lot young girls ball over the last few weeks, and encountering this situation many times, i feel i need to vent a bit.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully if you didn't already you'll instruct little Suzie the next time you officiate her game to remove her earrings.

Now to step down from my soapbox.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Your not alone

I have, numerous times this year, heard the same mantra, "But the ref let us wear it last time."

I have to believe that 90 plus percent of the time it is a lie and respond, "I am officiating THIS game and you will not play if you chose to wear the earrings."
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

The choice is the the player's. Choose to wear your earrings, or choose to play. Earrings are coming out 100% of the time in the games I officiate, otherwise the player is sent to the bench, even for warm-ups.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen this numerous times. The thing that bugs me is why on earth do these kids get their ears pierced during the season.

Coaches need to let all the parents know at the start of the season that they cannot wear them during practice and games.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityRef
I've seen this numerous times. The thing that bugs me is why on earth do these kids get their ears pierced during the season.

Coaches need to let all the parents know at the start of the season that they cannot wear them during practice and games.
Well said, the problem is with the coaches that allow this kind of stuff to happen in practice. This should be a topic during preseason coaches meetings as well. The officials should not be put into the position to remove jewelry as often as we are, players should know the drill and not wear jewelry to games period.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

I pick up my little sister from practice and most girls are wearing them at practice. The coach is clueless. But guess which girl is not wearing them?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
With rare exceptions, coaches have their priorities all mixed up. As this fellow that I tangled with last week.

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/12162

Hey, it worked! Wow...
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

During the pregame...."any bling bling on the court becomes MINE". Usualy get a good laugh from the girls, but they get the point!
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Why Can't I tape them

I don't get this as much in HS anymore, but rec ball, almost everygame, both boys and girls. I usually walk around thru players and check for earrings, necklaces, chains, bracelets, rubberbands, etc. and try to catch them early.
Earlier in the year during girls rec game I noticed girl with ear rings, just the small diamond posts for newly pierced ears. Told both her and her coach she would have to take them out if she wanted to play. She went to her Mom who was sitting in the stands. Next thing I know, Mom is on the court in my face saying she was not going to take out the earrings, I said that was fine that she couldn't play if she wore them. Girl looked really disappointed that she wasn't going to play. Mom wanted to tape them. I said not acceptable. Mom was furious, Mom wanted to talk to Park District supervisor. I said fine there she is go talk to her. Park District stood up to Mom and said "if earrings-no play". Girl looked like she was going to sit in the stands with her Mom. Coach wanted a couple of minutes to re-shuffle his rotations because the girl was going to be sitting out. I gave him 2 minutes. When we get ready to go and set for tip-off, girl was on floor, without earrings. I guess playing was more important to her than the consequenses of having those posts out for the 45-50 minutes it took for the game.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

I know that most of the time their using the excuse of being able to wear them before its bullsh!t, and i've never knowingly let a girl play with earrings.

The only reason i know that some officials let the girls play with tape over them. I had to have a long talk with an official who is senior to me a few months ago about why i refused to let a 9 year old girl play with her earring in. Apparantly she let her play with them in the previous week. Then I had to explain to the coach that I was there that week, and I say no earrings.

It sucks when instead of saying that last week the refs let her play with them, they say, "Last week you let her play with them in" then the parents also realize this, and it turns into a big scene.

But enough of that.

If she's wearin steel, she's gonna get a good feel for the bench.