View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Why Can't I tape them

I don't get this as much in HS anymore, but rec ball, almost everygame, both boys and girls. I usually walk around thru players and check for earrings, necklaces, chains, bracelets, rubberbands, etc. and try to catch them early.
Earlier in the year during girls rec game I noticed girl with ear rings, just the small diamond posts for newly pierced ears. Told both her and her coach she would have to take them out if she wanted to play. She went to her Mom who was sitting in the stands. Next thing I know, Mom is on the court in my face saying she was not going to take out the earrings, I said that was fine that she couldn't play if she wore them. Girl looked really disappointed that she wasn't going to play. Mom wanted to tape them. I said not acceptable. Mom was furious, Mom wanted to talk to Park District supervisor. I said fine there she is go talk to her. Park District stood up to Mom and said "if earrings-no play". Girl looked like she was going to sit in the stands with her Mom. Coach wanted a couple of minutes to re-shuffle his rotations because the girl was going to be sitting out. I gave him 2 minutes. When we get ready to go and set for tip-off, girl was on floor, without earrings. I guess playing was more important to her than the consequenses of having those posts out for the 45-50 minutes it took for the game.