The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
After calling 2 JV girls game, I find myself calling a good JV Boys game the next night. One min into the game I'm lead and a very high pass goes whistling toward the baseline. My feeble mind, blows a whistle knowing it's out of bounds- nope- boy leaps and grabs the ball- no problem
Thank goodness; everyone stops- no shots. I start coughing- inavertent whistle and we played on--- learning to slow up on the whistle. I covered myself but it something that should not happen. A reflex from the last two games...
Three veterans watching the game gave me great ratings for my calls, mechanics and control of the game.--- and a chuckle for my coverup. Thank goodness the rest of the night everything else went well. Both rival coaches thought it was a well called game with no mention of that whistle

Stew in VA
CVBOA
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Stew-

This has nothing to do with the girls games that you worked the previous nights but has everything to do with anticipating the call. Slow down a bit and see the whole play before you have a whistle of any kind and you will be way better off in the long run.

[Edited by BOBBYMO on Feb 12th, 2004 at 01:05 PM]
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:34am
In Memoriam

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by stewcall
... blows a whistle knowing it's out of bounds- nope- boy leaps....
stewcall,
Cute.
I think that is a good example of waiting for the ball to touch something, ... anything.
mick

"Turn your head left; cough. Turn your head right; cough."
"...How long have you had that cough?"
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 11:01am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
[/B]
I think that is a good example of waiting for the ball to touch something, ... anything.

[/B][/QUOTE]Exactly. That's what we emphasize to new officials during training. It doesn't matter if it's going 40 rows up; it's a live ball until it touches OOB.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

[/B]
Exactly. That's what we emphasize to new officials during training. It doesn't matter if it's going 40 rows up; it's a live ball until it touches OOB. [/B][/QUOTE]

Agreed
Stew in VA
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with all. DO NOT blow this dead until it touches something. It can make a difference if there's 4 or 5 seconds to go in a tight game, and the ball goes flying 40 rows up, but takes 2 seconds to touch something.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think it can.

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBBYMO
Stew-

This has nothing to do with the girls games that you worked the previous nights but has everything to do with anticipating the play. Slow down a bit and see the whole play before you have a whistle of any kind and you will be way better off in the long run.

I think it can. Because often times it is acceptable to blow the whistle on little to no contact in Girl's games. If you are doing Boy's games, you have to be more deliberate in your calls. Yes, anticipating the play can be a factor, but if you are expected to blow the whistle quickly all the time, you tend to anticipate things.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

"I think it can. Because often times it is acceptable to blow the whistle on little to no contact in Girl's games. If you are doing Boy's games, you have to be more deliberate in your calls. Yes, anticipating the play can be a factor, but if you are expected to blow the whistle quickly all the time, you tend to anticipate things."

J-Rut,

I am going to dissagree with you also. When is it acceptable to have a whistle with no contact at all? (I am assuming that you are talking about on a foul).

I believe that you should always anticipate the play; but you should never anticipate a foul or violation.

Anticipating the play will help you get into the best possition that you can get to before the action occures in your area.

No matter what type ( boy's or Girl's) game you are working amd no matter what level the game is I believe that one needs to see the whole play and never anticiapate a foul, violation or any other type of whistle.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I think it can.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Because often times it is acceptable to blow the whistle on little to no contact in Girl's games. If you are doing Boy's games, you have to be more deliberate in your calls.
Peace
It is not acceptable to blow the whistle on little to no contact in girl's games. That is doing the game a disservice. As you have said many times Rut, all contact is not a foul. The same goes for girl's games.

I find myself holding my whistle even longer in girl's games than boy's games. In boy's games, I find that you know quite quickly if a player is going to be able to play through a little contact and be able to pass on a foul. In girl's games, it can sometimes take a little longer to make that determination because the athleticism is not as good.

Z
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
J-Rut,

I am going to dissagree with you also. When is it acceptable to have a whistle with no contact at all? (I am assuming that you are talking about on a foul).
Nothing wrong with disagrement, that is why we are hear to some extent. But of course we are talking about fouls. But there are some situations in Boy's games where thinks jump out at you, and if you are used to doing Girl's games, you might miss it.

Quote:
I believe that you should always anticipate the play; but you should never anticipate a foul or violation.
Of course. But when you go back and forth working at totally different speeds of a game, that can be harder to achieve. It is not different than doing JH games then jumping to a varsity game. You see things at the varsity level you do not see at the JH level. And if you are not used to the varsity level, you might blow the whistle without taking your time. And I think when you go back and forth between genders, it is easier to get in a habit to start anticipate the calls.

Quote:
No matter what type ( boy's or Girl's) game you are working amd no matter what level the game is I believe that one needs to see the whole play and never anticiapate a foul, violation or any other type of whistle.
I agree, but in my experience the officials that work a lot of girl's games tend to call the ticky tack stuff more often in the Boy's games, then the officials that refrain from Girl's games all together. Now this is just an observation and it is one that many at least where I live agree with. But then again, it might be because I live in an area that it is not widely accepted to do both.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
Girls then Boys same night

In Oklahoma highschools, Varsity girls play followed immediately by varsity boys. Often times there is a huge adjustment required between the two games simply because the boys games tend to be faster paced.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

This is the hardest part of the job!!!

I too bounce all over the skills spectrum. One night I am calling Boys 7th grade B with a very inexperienced ref. The next night I am doing 5A Varsity Boys with two college refs. Talk about a change.

I have found that getting there early and spending time around the court even before the players start warming up gets me ready. When my partner arrives, we change and have the pregame. Then on with the show. Its kinda like rinsing your mouth out to get rid of a bad taste.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: I think it can.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

It is not acceptable to blow the whistle on little to no contact in girl's games. That is doing the game a disservice. As you have said many times Rut, all contact is not a foul. The same goes for girl's games.

Z,

It may not be acceptable in the moral high ground, but it is acceptable in the real world.

I did a Girl's game about 4 years ago during the first week of the IHSA Basketball Season (which is only Girl's basketball at that time of the year). It was a two man game and we had called enough fouls in the first half for both teams to be in the two shot bonus in both halves of the game. The home team coach said, "I just want the foul called, who cares about consistency." Now all the fouls we called were fouls that players were basically players were knocked to the floor and the coach wanted us to call the little touches and we were already in the bonus. I in my years of doing boy's games, I have never heard that claim from a Boy's varsity coach. But then again, I guess there is a reason I know an Boy's assignor that told an official he would not hire him at this point because he did too many Girl's games in his schedule. And went on further to say, I cannot convince my coaches to hire someone that does a lot of Girl's games.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: I think it can.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
The home team coach said, "I just want the foul called, who cares about consistency." Now all the fouls we called were fouls that players were basically players were knocked to the floor and the coach wanted us to call the little touches and we were already in the bonus. I in my years of doing boy's games, I have never heard that claim from a Boy's varsity coach.

Rut, I agree that is a dumb comment from a coach. It is too bad that you had that experience. I have never heard anything stupid like that from a coach around here. One idiot girls coach doth not make them all idiots (or something Shakespearean like that).

But then again, I guess there is a reason I know an Boy's assignor that told an official he would not hire him at this point because he did too many Girl's games in his schedule. And went on further to say, I cannot convince my coaches to hire someone that does a lot of Girl's games.

Boy, that really is too bad. I'm sure glad I don't see that attitude around here. That would really suck to have to work for such an ignorant assignor and group of coaches. Because we have a shot clock for girls games here in Washington, the officials who do both have far better clock awareness in boys games than the officials who only do boys games. They also seem to have more patient whistles.

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Feb 12th, 2004 at 02:13 PM]
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J-Rut,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing wrong with disagrement, that is why we are hear to some extent. But of course we are talking about fouls. But there are some situations in Boy's games where thinks jump out at you, and if you are used to doing Girl's games, you might miss it.

quote:

Of course. But when you go back and forth working at totally different speeds of a game, that can be harder to achieve. It is not different than doing JH games then jumping to a varsity game. You see things at the varsity level you do not see at the JH level. And if you are not used to the varsity level, you might blow the whistle without taking your time. And I think when you go back and forth between genders, it is easier to get in a habit to start anticipate the calls.

quote:

I agree, but in my experience the officials that work a lot of girl's games tend to call the ticky tack stuff more often in the Boy's games, then the officials that refrain from Girl's games all together. Now this is just an observation and it is one that many at least where I live agree with. But then again, it might be because I live in an area that it is not widely accepted to do both.

Peace

J-Rut,

I will agree with this a lot more now then your earlier post.

Yes it can be tough at times but I still am a huge believer in that if you are patient and see the whole play it becomes a lot easier to make that transition