The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 11:45pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Chuck, I called two off-ball double fouls in the same city rec league game tonight. Everyone in the gym went dead silent when I called the first one, as if they've never heard of such a thing. Second one happens, the players were telling the offending players to knock it off already. Rest of the game goes smoothly.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

My partner last nigh

My partner had four 3-second calls last night; two each half. It repeatedly disruped any flow and made the players angry. One time I'm sure the player had only his heels in the key. He never warned. Oh well
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:43am
We don't rent pigs

One problem I see with 3 seconds is that the discussion of the rule has gotten bigger than the rule itself. Some officials seem to have made it a contest. (I only called it once all year. I haven't called it since '01. etc.) Others have elevated their "warning" to the point of almost screaming at the player. (Get out of there, 44!) I personally prefer a literal interpretation buffered by a bit of common sense. I do not call it on the guy standing with one heel on the free throw line. I do call it on the potential rebounder who lurks in and around the lane all night, even if he "almost got out of the lane" that time.
No warning, call it when you see it like anything else. Does this mean that I have repeated 3 second calls that "disrupt the flow of the game," whatever that means? No, quite the contrary, I believe.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

Yea, I agree with 'Just another Ref' here. My first reply was based on the initial post. I would have called it before he received the pass from his team mate. I believe leaving him hang there for a rebound isn't right.

But that's just my thoughts on the matter.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 09:11am
In Memoriam

All night?

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Some officials seem to have made it a contest.... I do call it on the potential rebounder who lurks in and around the lane all night, even if he "almost got out of the lane" that time.
No warning, call it when you see it like anything else....
justa,
How long is "all night" ?
... 1st quarter, 2nd quarter?
mick

Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I like your approach.....to not calling 3 seconds, unless the advantage (illegally) rears it's ugly head.......

We have talked about this call (no call ) in our assocaition.

I think early in the season, we were a little trigger happy, and not doing a good job of preventative officiating ("tell them to get out!).......

we had a good call similiar to yours in an area game the other night, i told the offical who made the call, the only one we had to call that night, it was a great call!

No one in the gym said a word!

thanks
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 03:21pm
We don't rent pigs

Re: All night?

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Some officials seem to have made it a contest.... I do call it on the potential rebounder who lurks in and around the lane all night, even if he "almost got out of the lane" that time.
No warning, call it when you see it like anything else....
justa,
How long is "all night" ?
... 1st quarter, 2nd quarter?
mick

This is deep stuff. I'm creating a profile here. This guy, perhaps a Dennis Rodman type, who hangs around the lane looking for offensive boards and is not otherwise involved in the offense, is the guy I am describing here.
I call 3 seconds on him when I see it, whatever quarter that may be, and then chances are I won't have to call it
"all night."

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Chuck, I called two off-ball double fouls in the same city rec league game tonight.
That's cool. I have no problem with a double foul (although if you have two in one game, you might ask yourself if you're seeing the beginning of the play).

But I didn't ask Windy about double fouls. . .