Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 03:27pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
....in my experience the officials that work a lot of girl's games tend to call the ticky tack stuff more often in the Boy's games,....
Rut,
I agree with that call.

A little bit of contact will screw up a light-weight player more than the same amount of contact will affect a heavier, stronger player.

I think that is the reason our area girls' coaches want more stuff called than this area's boys' coaches, ...unless the boys' coaches are really losing.

When a team is losing, being out-hustled and not playing well, the coaches may become very *flexible* in their opinions as to how the game is called.

mick
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 04:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: I think it can.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Rut, I agree that is a dumb comment from a coach. It is too bad that you had that experience. I have never heard anything stupid like that from a coach around here. One idiot girls coach doth not make them all idiots (or something Shakespearean like that)
Z,

This has nothing to do with one coach. This example was to show the prevailing attitude of Girl's coaches and those associated with Girl's basketball. I could give many more examples, but we do not have that kind of time.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Boy, that really is too bad. I'm sure glad I don't see that attitude around here. That would really suck to have to work for such an ignorant assignor and group of coaches. Because we have a shot clock for girls games here in Washington, the officials who do both have far better clock awareness in boys games than the officials who only do boys games. They also seem to have more patient whistles.

I would not call that ignorant, I would call that the way it is. There is a reason you do not see Ed Hightower or Ted Hillary do not work Women's games. I would not call it ignorance, I would call that coaches and administrations do not want to see officials that are not specialized in one side over another. Let us face it, they are very different. And if you think they are not, how many GT violations have you called working Girl's games?

Peace
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
" How many GT violations have you called working Girl's games?"

J-Rut,

Believe it or not I have seen one. It was a girl from Kansas State in a game against Nebraska played in Lincoln. Lets just say the girl had some seriuos hops.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 04:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Of course it can happen.

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBBYMO
" How many GT violations have you called working Girl's games?"

J-Rut,

Believe it or not I have seen one. It was a girl from Kansas State in a game against Nebraska played in Lincoln. Lets just say the girl had some seriuos hops.
I did not say it was not possible. But unless I were to work a game where Candice Parker that attends Naperville Central High School right around the corner of where I live (she was the first to dunk in a Girl's game during in Illinois history and is going to Tennessee next year), then it is rather unlikely I will ever make that call in other games. But I have made numerous calls on the Boy's side where you would think the players would not even be able to touch the rim. Of course it can happen, but it is not common or likely.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
I agree that they are vary rare. I was shocked when I saw the one that I saw.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I think it can.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge

This has nothing to do with one coach. This example was to show the prevailing attitude of Girl's coaches and those associated with Girl's basketball. I could give many more examples, but we do not have that kind of time.

That may be the way things are in your area, but it just isn't that way around here. It might have been that way here 20 years ago.

I would not call that ignorant, I would call that the way it is. There is a reason you do not see Ed Hightower or Ted Hillary do not work Women's games. I would not call it ignorance, I would call that coaches and administrations do not want to see officials that are not specialized in one side over another. Let us face it, they are very different. And if you think they are not, how many GT violations have you called working Girl's games?

Maybe I should have been more specific - I'm talking about high school hoops here so Ed and Ted don't apply.

Sure girls games are different than boys. Boys B school games are different than boys 4A. If you can't adjust to the difference, you are not a very good official. Thinking otherwise is just more ignorance from the good old boy network.

Z