The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

In NFHS, if B1 slaps the ball while in the hands of A1 attempting to inbound from OOB area, is it an automatic technical foul, or do you give a warning first?

What if B1 does not touch ball, but reaches over plane of OOB line - is it then warning for 1st offense, technical for 2nd offense (indiv warnings or team warnings?)?
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Don't have my rule book here at work but this is what i think:
Yes on the first issue
team warning on second issue unless in the last 5 seconds of game with clock running then just T with no warning--probably best just to ignore going reaching over in the last 5 seconds depending on score etc.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bwbuddy
In NFHS, if B1 slaps the ball while in the hands of A1 attempting to inbound from OOB area, is it an automatic technical foul, or do you give a warning first?
T, assuming the ball was on the OOB side of the plane; legal play if the ball was on the IB side of the plane

Quote:
What if B1 does not touch ball, but reaches over plane of OOB line - is it then warning for 1st offense, technical for 2nd offense (indiv warnings or team warnings?)?
Team warning; T for next offense
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Team warning; T for next offense [/B]
And it's a team T, not a player T. Counts toward the bonus, but not toward the player's DQ
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Had this happen the other day. Jr High game, in OT getting near the end, OOB on the side, kid gets excited and reaches through and slaps the ball. I didn't T him up, I didn't feel it was the time or place, and the poor kid would have been devastated...just warned him, and no it didn't make a difference in the outcome, and no matter what is said after this post, I will do it again in the same situation...Varsity or JV is different Jr High I stick with what I did
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Had the exact same situation happen TWICE (once on each team) in a game last weekend. Warned 'em on both (on the second, had to think for a second before realizing that it was the OTHER team I had warned on the previous infraction, which was at the exact same spot on the endline in the first half).
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Did a club basketball game for 10 & 11 year olds. Kid looking the other way accidentally made contact with the ball. Rule says T. Nobody said anything when I played like I saw nothing. Kid got the ball inbounds fine and the game continued. Sometimes its easier not to see the call than to see it and have to make a decision.

I'd hate to have one coach screaming, "That's a T" Those club basketball coaches and parents are a scary group of people.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
Those club basketball coaches and parents are a scary group of people.
This gets my vote for "Post of the Week!"
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

CMathews, I would have to disagree with you. Junior high still goes by NFHS rules. If you don't make the call, then in a high school game you wouldn't make the call either.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 01:17pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Bchill24
CMathews, I would have to disagree with you. Junior high still goes by NFHS rules. If you don't make the call, then in a high school game you wouldn't make the call either.
What??? While we all know that most Jr. High games use NFHS rules, are you seriously saying that you call a 7th grade girls game the same way you call a 6A boys varsity game??? Give me a break...
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Chuck makes a good point

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Team warning; T for next offense

And it's a team T, not a player T. Counts toward the bonus, but not toward the player's DQ
And it also needs to be stated that if the player does hit the ball IT IS A Technical Foul on that player and it does count towards his disqualification.

First delay without contact - Team warning
Second delay without contact - Team Technical
Any reach with contact - immediate Player Technical.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
are you seriously saying that you call a 7th grade girls game the same way you call a 6A boys varsity game??? Give me a break...
Rocky, there's no way for you to know this, obviously, but BChill doesn't do much varsity at all yet. He's a pretty new official and doing his best to pick up what he can.

I think his point is that the kids have to learn the rule sometime; and isn't it better if they learn it in a 7th/8th grade game than in the last 2 minutes of a varsity game?

Maybe they could learn it without giving the T, but it is the rule; and if you ignore it -- and the other coach knows the rule -- you could have a problem.

And by the way, I am seriously saying that I call a 7th grade girls game the same way I call my varsity games: advantage/disadvantage. Just my $.02
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Rocky, there's no way for you to know this, obviously, but BChill doesn't do much varsity at all yet. He's a pretty new official and doing his best to pick up what he can.

I think his point is that the kids have to learn the rule sometime; and isn't it better if they learn it in a 7th/8th grade game than in the last 2 minutes of a varsity game?

Maybe they could learn it without giving the T, but it is the rule; and if you ignore it -- and the other coach knows the rule -- you could have a problem.

And by the way, I am seriously saying that I call a 7th grade girls game the same way I call my varsity games: advantage/disadvantage. Just my $.02 [/B]
Agree 100% with Chuck. I think the player and future officials of the player, are much better off without the player having to "unlearn" your rule/non-rule in a Varsity game--or even a playoff game of any sort between now and any potential varsity contest.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

I think we take the "T-foul" tttooooo seriously. The T is just another foul. Ignoring the rule by not issueing a T when there is no judgement is putting too much importance on the T. There is no judgement when contact is made on the ball oob. Its just two shots. You might as well ignore a shooting foul. It has the same penalty. (By that I mean there is no change of possession). Also, if you are trying to move up in the officiating ranks, you never know who might be watching.