The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Had this one Saturday night, girls V game. TeamA scores a bucket, B1 attempts to throw the ball inbounds, the ball hits A1, and goes out of bounds over the end line. I see my partner signal she still has the line, make a mental note to discuss it at half time, and we move on.

At halftime, I read case play 7.5.7 Situation B, part (c).

Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball after the made basket, then proceeds out of bounds to start the throw-in process. B1 runs along the end line out of bounds while attempting to find an open teammate for the throw-in. Immediately after B1 releases the throw-in pass, (c) the ball is deflected out of bounds across the end line off of A2.

Ruling: A2 legally contacted the ball and subsequently hit it out of bounds, ending the throw-in. Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in on the end line.

My partner agrees, realizes he kicked it, and we go on. Well tonight (Sunday) I get a call from a still-in-denial partner and we look at rule book play 7.5.7

After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or foul (before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line.

Sounds like two contradictory rulings for the same sitch. We ultimately agree to disagree, and pursue additional opinions. I still think she should have had a spot. What am I missing!?!?!
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I understand the conflict between the 2 interpretations and I don't have my rule book with me, but here is how I would handle this situation.

It seems to me that when the throw-in is touched by the defensive player (Team B)the throw-in then is completed. If the defender has caused the ball to go out of bounds then Team A (offense) retains possession of the ball and has a designated spot throw-in. Why should Team B be penalized for good defensive work, even though the ball went out of bounds?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 12:08am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Had this one Saturday night, girls V game. TeamA scores a bucket, B1 attempts to throw the ball inbounds, the ball hits A1, and goes out of bounds over the end line. I see my partner signal she still has the line, make a mental note to discuss it at half time, and we move on.

At halftime, I read case play 7.5.7 Situation B, part (c).

Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball after the made basket, then proceeds out of bounds to start the throw-in process. B1 runs along the end line out of bounds while attempting to find an open teammate for the throw-in. Immediately after B1 releases the throw-in pass, (c) the ball is deflected out of bounds across the end line off of A2.

Ruling: A2 legally contacted the ball and subsequently hit it out of bounds, ending the throw-in. Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in on the end line.

My partner agrees, realizes he kicked it, and we go on. Well tonight (Sunday) I get a call from a still-in-denial partner and we look at rule book play 7.5.7

After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or foul (before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line.

Sounds like two contradictory rulings for the same sitch. We ultimately agree to disagree, and pursue additional opinions. I still think she should have had a spot. What am I missing!?!?!

There are two violations that come to mind to which R7-S5-S7 applies: 1) A throw-in violation by the non-throwing team. In this case the only violation that I can think of is breaking the throw-in plane. And 2) After the throw-in passes is released by the thrower, a player from the non-throwing team is the first to touch the ball but the touching is an intentional kick. This second violation is covered in a Casebook Play if my memory serves me correct.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Feb 8th, 2004 at 11:10 PM]
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Here's the difference. An intentionally kicked ball is a violation. A touched ball is not. If defender B2 intentionally kicks the ball in this situation, A1 is still allowed to run the endline because of the violation. If B2 touches the ball and it deflects out of bounds, the touch has caused the ball to go OOB, but the touch itself is not a violation. The touch itself is a legal defensive play. In this case, a spot throw in for team A.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Agreed

TriggerMN has this correct!

Not a violation, just a ball OOB. A1 failed to successfully inbound the ball to a teammate when they had endline priviledge. Do not penalize B for good defense.

Here is another way to process this:

A1 attempts the throw-in. B1 slaps the ball back OOB and A1 catches it while standing OOB. Do you give it to A1 for the next throw-in? No, because B1 did NOT commit a violation, just great defense.
In this case the ball would actually be awarded to B.

[Edited by One-Whistle on Feb 9th, 2004 at 01:42 AM]
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

This retaining the running of the end line priviledge was a recent rules change. (maybe three years ago) The rules committee did not intend for the right to run the end line to be retained if the defense committed an OOB violation (this is clear from the case book plays) only a kick, fist, breaking of the plane violation (or a foul), but unfortunately, they did not use precise wording in writing the changed rule, so it appears confusing. Your partner simply got trapped by the poor wording. TriggerMN is correct.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

So knocking a ball out of bounds is just a simple violation (it is a violation - check the rules!), but intentionally kicking a ball out of bounds is a super violation???

I don't buy it. Besides, neither of the plays I sighted come anywhere close to saying the defender kicked the ball, just that it went OOB.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

It's a fair play issue.

I think the NCAA rules handle this better because of the inclusion of the word "legally" when talking about the throw-in being touched in-bounds. The NFHS book does not say that the throw-in ends when it is legally touched, just touched in-bounds, so it includes kicks and fists. That is why the clock should start in NFHS on a kicked throw-in pass, but not in the NCAA. (Actually, this year the NCAA made when a throw-in ends very wacky due to the team control foul rule.)
The intent of the rule was to correct for teams attempting to deprive their opponents the priviledge of running the end line by committing some silly violation or foul during the throw-in. This allowed the defense to gain an advantage by doing something that is against the rules and that is not within the spirit of the rules according to the paragraph on page 10 near the start of the rules book.

Remember the intent was to correct for stuff that was done DURING the throw-in. The kicking/fisting of the ball has been interpreted to be DURING the throw-in even in NFHS, hence the right to run is retained. With a normal touch the subsequent OOB violation does not occur DURING the throw-in, so the right to run is lost. The defensive team has not attempted to take advantage of the rules to gain an unintended benefit. The bottom line here is to reward fair play, and not to reward unfair play.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Feb 9th, 2004 at 06:51 AM]
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Be Careful

In the past, a coach may have told his team to either commit a violation or foul so the other team would lose their throw-in rights. The NF changed this a couple years ago so that a violation/foul by the defensive team would not cause the throw-in team to lose their rights to run the baseline.

But be careful on where the violation/foul occurs. As this will technically determine the throw-in spot. If the violation/foul occurs in the area where you would normally take the ball out on the baseline, then the team would still retain it's right to run. However, if the violation/foul occurs in an area where you would take the ball out on the side, it now becomes a spot throw-in.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So knocking a ball out of bounds is just a simple violation (it is a violation - check the rules!), but intentionally kicking a ball out of bounds is a super violation???

I don't buy it. Besides, neither of the plays I sighted come anywhere close to saying the defender kicked the ball, just that it went OOB.
Dan
Kicking the ball is a violation - it need not go OOB. So it causes the throw-in to end with an instant violation. Touching the ball is not a violation. If you touch the ball and deflect it forward and it goes out on the sidelines, you have a sideline throw-in not an endline throw-in. Therefore no running the endline.

Your initial post cites an example from a game, a case, and a rule. You thought there was an inconsistency between rule and case. By providing an example of a violation that ends the throw (the kick), as compared to a throw that ends followed by an immediate violation (touch, then OOB), people are simply illustrating how the rule and case are not in conflict. The case refers to the throw as not being covered by the rule, the rule allows for the kick situation so that teams can't cheat to eliminate the endline run.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
No, Dan, although it sort of sounds that way. The difference is that in the case of the kicked ball, the violation occured before the ball was legally toched inbounds. In the case of the ball knocked OOB, the ball was legally touched and then went OOB.

Do NOT confuse this issue with when the throw-in ends (4-41-5). But for this particular situation, the determining factor is whether the violation (or foul) occured before or after the ball was legally touched.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
No, Dan, although it sort of sounds that way. The difference is that in the case of the kicked ball, the violation occured before the ball was legally toched inbounds. In the case of the ball knocked OOB, the ball was legally touched and then went OOB.

Do NOT confuse this issue with when the throw-in ends (4-41-5). But for this particular situation, the determining factor is whether the violation (or foul) occured before or after the ball was legally touched.
And by way of example, if B1 tips the throw-in and B2 then kicks the tipped ball A would not retain the right to run the endline. This is similar in effect to B1 tipping the ball OOB on the throw-in.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Re: Agreed

Quote:
Originally posted by One-Whistle
A1 attempts the throw-in. B1 slaps the ball back OOB and A1 catches it while standing OOB. Do you give it to A1 for the next throw-in? No, because B1 did NOT commit a violation, just great defense.
In this case the ball would actually be awarded to B.
That's true? Wow. What if A1 doesn't catch the ball, but as B1 taps the ball back inbounds and it hits A1 and goes off him/her while he/she is out of bounds?

See, this is why I read this forum - for stuff like this so that when it comes up, I've got it covered.

Now, this has gotten a little convoluted, but for the new guy, just tell me if I'm reading this correctly: If a team has the ability to run the baseline (after a made basket, which is the only time that's in effect, correct?) on a throwin and their opponents make a good defensive play and knock the throw-in out of bounds over the end line, that ends THAT throw-in and, on the subsequent throw-in, the original team cannot then run the baseline, correct?

Okay, what if, just in case, the team entitled to the throw-in calls time out. When they come back from the time out, can they still run the baseline on the throwin?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Great post, Chuck.

I suppose what I was missing is the fact that kicking the ball occured before the ball became live (tough for me to invision initially), hence the throw-in was never completed. Therefore, don't penelize the thrower-in.

I would vote, however, for a rewording of either the case play or the rule book. If I didn't have this forum as a resource, this situation would really have me puzzled.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

JKL has it pat. For the last post, the ball IS live when it is placed at the disposal of the Thrower-in. I don't see the confusion if you understand hwen the ball is live and when the TI ends, remembering in the case of a foul or violation by B the succeding spot determines if A retains the right to run the line.