View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 12:08am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Had this one Saturday night, girls V game. TeamA scores a bucket, B1 attempts to throw the ball inbounds, the ball hits A1, and goes out of bounds over the end line. I see my partner signal she still has the line, make a mental note to discuss it at half time, and we move on.

At halftime, I read case play 7.5.7 Situation B, part (c).

Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball after the made basket, then proceeds out of bounds to start the throw-in process. B1 runs along the end line out of bounds while attempting to find an open teammate for the throw-in. Immediately after B1 releases the throw-in pass, (c) the ball is deflected out of bounds across the end line off of A2.

Ruling: A2 legally contacted the ball and subsequently hit it out of bounds, ending the throw-in. Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in on the end line.

My partner agrees, realizes he kicked it, and we go on. Well tonight (Sunday) I get a call from a still-in-denial partner and we look at rule book play 7.5.7

After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or foul (before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line.

Sounds like two contradictory rulings for the same sitch. We ultimately agree to disagree, and pursue additional opinions. I still think she should have had a spot. What am I missing!?!?!

There are two violations that come to mind to which R7-S5-S7 applies: 1) A throw-in violation by the non-throwing team. In this case the only violation that I can think of is breaking the throw-in plane. And 2) After the throw-in passes is released by the thrower, a player from the non-throwing team is the first to touch the ball but the touching is an intentional kick. This second violation is covered in a Casebook Play if my memory serves me correct.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Feb 8th, 2004 at 11:10 PM]
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio