The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Talking

Watching a JV game. Team A makes a goal, Team B throws-in, Team A presses the backcourt. Trail official gets to 9.95 of his 10-sec BC count when dribbler calls timeout just before division line. Timeout granted. Team B throws-in just before div.line into BC. Trial blows whistle and calls 10-sec violation.

Saw it, giggled and thought it might be interesting to see what you guys think...
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Methinks the trail then took a ration of crap (well deserved crap for sure) from the coach and fans after that. We do learn from our mistakes, though. Hopfully someone the trail looked up to clued him in later on about how the rule works.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Never make the same mistakes twice!

Sounds like the same type of call I made when I called three seconds and the ball was still in the back court. First year of officiating("1977") and havn't made the same call since!
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Hate to admit it, but I called the 10 Sec. violation the same way once, years ago.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 08:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Looks to me like the same official shouldn't have been counting on this play. I'm guessing the trail reported the TO. Lead should then administer the throwin as the new trail, right?
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Looks to me like the same official shouldn't have been counting on this play. I'm guessing the trail reported the TO. Lead should then administer the throwin as the new trail, right?
Snaq
The only switching situations I am aware of are on fouls.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Where was the other official--why not a quick meeting clear it up and get it right!! thats what partners are for--we all make dumb mistakes at times
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by som44
Where was the other official--why not a quick meeting clear it up and get it right!! thats what partners are for--we all make dumb mistakes at times
Yup. The counting official can't be "overruled", but a quick and emphatic meeting of the minds is in order here. After the meeting, the coaches should be told that there was an inadvertant whistle.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I had something similar last night. I was L after a made basket by A. B inbounds under the basket (can run baseline). A deflects the ball OOB on the sideline. My partner tells B inbounder that he can run the sideline!?! (I find this out after the fact) After B inbounder takes several steps OOB, I call travel. My partner conferences with me and tells me that he told the inbounder that he cold move! Unbelieveable!
here in about 3 seconds!"
-Tim Higgins
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Disagree ChuckElias. It's our game and our burden to do what is right. The calling official doesn't have to be "overrulled" because of a meeting with his partner. He can change his own call. He called backcourt once team B got the ball. Give it back to them.

Referees that are so strictly by the book that they forget common sense scare me (and coaches).
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
Disagree ChuckElias. It's our game and our burden to do what is right. The calling official doesn't have to be "overrulled" because of a meeting with his partner. He can change his own call. He called backcourt once team B got the ball. Give it back to them.

Referees that are so strictly by the book that they forget common sense scare me (and coaches).
Footlocker, Chuck is saying the same thing. Chuck's way to handle it is exactly correct, because an inadvertant whistle is exactly what you have. With the IW B retains possesion since they were in possesion when the IW occured. He is also correct that the call can't be overturned by the other official, but that a conference may show the one official the error of his ways
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
Hmmm, footlocker, one of us isn't understanding the other. (In particular, I have no idea what you're getting at in the underlined part of your post.) My point was that the 10-second violation was blatently and obviously incorrect. In that situation, the non-calling official may (should) go to the calling official and explain (quickly and emphatically) that why the call is wrong. Then the calling official will go to the coaches and say "Oops", give the ball back to the team who was incorrectly called for the violation and continue play.

Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoothieking
I had something similar last night. I was L after a made basket by A. B inbounds under the basket (can run baseline). A deflects the ball OOB on the sideline. My partner tells B inbounder that he can run the sideline!?! (I find this out after the fact) After B inbounder takes several steps OOB, I call travel. My partner conferences with me and tells me that he told the inbounder that he cold move! Unbelieveable!
Who was administering the throw-in? If it was you, why is your partner talking to the inbounder? If it was your partner, why were you calling any violation (and, it's nto travelling)?

Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

RE:

So Chuck, the other official can't over-rule in this case? Man that would make us look like do-do.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: RE:

Quote:
Originally posted by Bchill24
So Chuck, the other official can't over-rule in this case? Man that would make us look like do-do.
Chill -- Overrule means to wave off the call. No partner can do that. But the partner can rush in for a quiet conference and then the calling official can change his own call. That doesn't look like do-do -- it looks like getting it right.