The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 122
Send a message via ICQ to moose69
Well, i'm not an NCAA official. but, in the game this afternoon with Uconn and Arizona there were a few questionable calls late in the game. There was a goal tend called with 2.9 secs left, and the ball was still on an upward flight. And then the offical went to the video tape to check the time, and it should havbe been set back too 2.9 secs, but it got reset back 1.8.
anyone else watch this one?

Tyler
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 38
Check out espn.com, the online poll tonight is whether or not you would have called that GT.

Isn't that rich!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 12
Post A Response

Watched the game and the situation that presented that official happened so quick. It did appear that the official did not have the best angle to make the call so he probably should have let it go.

Putting 1.8 seconds on the clock was probably the correct rulling as it appeared there was 2.8 seconds left when the goaltend took place. With lag time, 1.8 seconds would be the correct set.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 962
Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
http://espn.go.com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 962
Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
espn must have shut down that poll rather quickly. I couldn't find it on the site.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 94
Question

O.K., you veterans of three-man mechanics, wasn't the official who made the goaltending call the center official on the play??? If so, didn't he call out of his area? And if it wasn't his call, technically, whose call is goaltending in that situation?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 10, 2000, 01:54am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 122
Talking

A goaltending call or a BI call is the Trail or Centers call. Someone just better get it right. There is 1 D1 assignor.. that at a camp told us, even the lead should have a look a the rim to make sure that this call is made.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 10, 2000, 07:32am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 12
I believe the rule does allow for the lead to call goaltend or basket interference. The lead might sometimes have the best look.

Anyway, the situation in the AZ-Conn game, I just felt that the official did not have a good look at the play and he blew the call. And isn't this official a Pac 10 official? He probably blew the call and should be accountable for his mistake because he probably cost AZ the ball game.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 10, 2000, 02:51pm
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 171
Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Goaltending hsould never be called by the lead - this is a mechanic, not a "rule".

The only exception might be in very quick transition where the "lead" is not on the baseline, but around the free-throw line extended or so, and goaltending occurs. However, it should never be called from under the basket - you cannot have a good look from there.

Either the center or the trail can make the goaltending call. I don't think that he didn't have a "good look" - it's just a really tough play. Any of us can get it right on the replay - try doing it real-time in the final seconds of a big television game! Think about it - he might have let it go and then the replay shows that it WAS goaltending. You only have one shot to get it right.

Officials: Rich Ballesteros, Bobby Hunt, Mark Reischling.

Not exactly a rookie crew!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 10, 2000, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 12
Understand about mechanic vs rule - however, with the new position that lead is to take in a 3-person system this could allow for possibly a better look, and possibly a better look in that specific situation. I believe the replay in this situation indicated the official probably made the wrong call. He did not have a good look.
Criticize him or not, he is paid to get the call right, not to anticipate the call. In my opinion he anticipated the call. He hesitated in his making of the call like he had no confidence in the call. Maybe he should have just said, hey I goofed - it was not goaltend as I am not 100% sure. Ball out-of-bounds to UConn.

That on can be debated over and over. The on-site observer had to question that one after the game. Would you want that official making that same call at the same point in the Div I championship game?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 10, 2000, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 962
Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Rich Ballesteros made the call.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 10, 2000, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,087
Quote:
Originally posted by The Observer
Understand about mechanic vs rule - however, with the new position that lead is to take in a 3-person system this could allow for possibly a better look, and possibly a better look in that specific situation. I believe the replay in this situation indicated the official probably made the wrong call. He did not have a good look.
Criticize him or not, he is paid to get the call right, not to anticipate the call. In my opinion he anticipated the call. He hesitated in his making of the call like he had no confidence in the call. Maybe he should have just said, hey I goofed - it was not goaltend as I am not 100% sure. Ball out-of-bounds to UConn.

That on can be debated over and over. The on-site observer had to question that one after the game. Would you want that official making that same call at the same point in the Div I championship game?
Why do you think he didn't have a good look? Was he out of position? What position would you want him to be in? Assuming the official was in the right position, yes, I'd want him making the same call at the same point in the DIV I championship game. It's no different from any of the other calls or non-calls during the game. If they were wrong, they were wrong. THis one wsa no more important.

And, I disagree with the assertion that the L can get a good look at this from the "new" post shot positioning. IF the lead is looking up there, he's missing a lot below.

At least the official seemed to know the rule. Many would have called it goaltending just because it hit the backboard first.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 10, 2000, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 12
To me it didn't appear to hit the backboard first.

On the position of Mr. Ballesteros, I would have liked to see him have made that call from more of a position out beyond the FT line extended, not from the opposite side below the FT line extended. I don't know how he ever would have seen the ball at its apex from his position.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 10, 2000, 06:52pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,899
Question You lost me on this one.

What does the ball hitting the backboard have to do with this call? And even if it hit the backboard, that does not automatically mean that it is goaltending. That it not even a criteria for goaltending.


Quote:
Originally posted by The Observer
To me it didn't appear to hit the backboard first.

On the position of Mr. Ballesteros, I would have liked to see him have made that call from more of a position out beyond the FT line extended, not from the opposite side below the FT line extended. I don't know how he ever would have seen the ball at its apex from his position.
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 10, 2000, 10:41pm
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 171
Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Quote:
What does the ball hitting the backboard have to do with this call? And even if it hit the backboard, that does not automatically mean that it is goaltending. That it not even a criteria for goaltending.
This is an NBA rule, which is why many coaches/players are so confused about this in high school and college.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1