View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 10, 2000, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Observer
Understand about mechanic vs rule - however, with the new position that lead is to take in a 3-person system this could allow for possibly a better look, and possibly a better look in that specific situation. I believe the replay in this situation indicated the official probably made the wrong call. He did not have a good look.
Criticize him or not, he is paid to get the call right, not to anticipate the call. In my opinion he anticipated the call. He hesitated in his making of the call like he had no confidence in the call. Maybe he should have just said, hey I goofed - it was not goaltend as I am not 100% sure. Ball out-of-bounds to UConn.

That on can be debated over and over. The on-site observer had to question that one after the game. Would you want that official making that same call at the same point in the Div I championship game?
Why do you think he didn't have a good look? Was he out of position? What position would you want him to be in? Assuming the official was in the right position, yes, I'd want him making the same call at the same point in the DIV I championship game. It's no different from any of the other calls or non-calls during the game. If they were wrong, they were wrong. THis one wsa no more important.

And, I disagree with the assertion that the L can get a good look at this from the "new" post shot positioning. IF the lead is looking up there, he's missing a lot below.

At least the official seemed to know the rule. Many would have called it goaltending just because it hit the backboard first.