The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

What were some of the mistakes or areas of improvement (needed) that you folks noticed of yourselves when first doing 3 whistle games?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

After working a 3 whistle game Friday with someone that's never worked 3 whistle before, here are some things I noticed:
-A good pregame is a MUST! If your partners are using terminology you're unfamiliar with, ask questions.
-After you call a foul, go opposite. Seems pretty simple but an unfamiliar environment (3 whistle vs. 2)can really screw people up.
-If you're going to flex (rotate), don't hesitate. While easily fixed, it looks and feels bad to look across the baseline and see one of your partners (have 2 Leads) because someone missed a rotation or rotated late.
-Remember to key the Lead. If the Lead rotates, then everyone else rotates.
-As the Lead, resist the temptation to look at the ball that comes in your corner. The trail should pick that up and allow you to focus on the post play.
-When you're the Center, resist the urge to take a break. You'll be amazed at how much action can happen on the weak side (especially rebounding). You'd also be amazed at some of the conversations that take place in the front row of the bleachers. I had three guys trying to get me to call 3 seconds on the defense. They were pretty entertaining to say the least.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 04:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
What were some of the mistakes or areas of improvement (needed) that you folks noticed of yourselves when first doing 3 whistle games?
My biggest mistake was going back to 2-whistle.

Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 05:00pm
If you need me, text me!

Quote:
Worrying too much about where I was standing and not refereeing the play.

All the rotations and switches will happen. Don't miss the call right in front of you because you're too stressed out about whether you are the T or the C.

Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 05:46pm
Esteemed Participant

Keep your head up and look at your partners every chance you get...with two person it's not that big of a deal to know where your partner is at all times, but with three person, you HAVE to know...
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
When i work with someone who hasn't ever done 3-man, the biggest thing i noticed is that they forget to referee. Don't worry about your rotation and forget to referee. Also, if you are thinking you should rotate then do it and don't worry about screwing it up, we all do

My two sense!
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Watch your backside!

Was recently working three man at one of our smallest schools. Normally we do a split of the JV game (each varsity person works a half with the JV guy) but this night we decided to work both games as 3-man. As said earlier the gym is small - it is easy for the fans to stick their feet onto the floor.

The fans at this school aren't used to seeing 3-man... and not being able to see the game because of where the officials stand...

Well early in the first game I'm working center and have the feeling that something is going on behind me... then someone grabs my butt! I found it quite funny. Some older lady and her two cowboy friends were laughing and giggling. From then on I tried to vary my position a little and give them a better view of the game.

Particularly, 3-man allows you to concentrate much better on your primary area. This also requires that you communicate well with your partners after a whistle because they also are watching their areas and often don't know why you whistled.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ocreferee

All the rotations and switches will happen. Don't miss the call right in front of you because you're too stressed out about whether you are the T or the C.

Right.

I worked with an official the other day who was doing his first 3-person V game (he had some experience in camps).

My pre-game was "Don't think of this as a 3-person game. Think of it as a game that happens to have 3 officials."
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ocreferee
Quote:
I second this. Know where your primary area is and officiate it hard. If you miss a rotation, your partners will "fill in" and cover up the mistake. Just don't forget to officiate.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 10:10pm
In Memoriam

Smile Ya got a Regional?

I've been tryin' to get zebra44 into a 3-man game for a few years now. Stocks are goin' U.P. !
mick
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

Just never thought I would have need for it, Mick.Also, you know how I felt about "horning in". Yes, I was assigned a Regional game, and I am very excited.I'm also very confident I will do OK. Thanks for your encouragement during my "down time" earlier this year. The system still needs a lot of input from officials, though.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Smile Da butt grab

Hey Tony,

Nice! An old grandma grabbed your butt!?!
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 07:05am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Just never thought I would have need for it, Mick.Also, you know how I felt about "horning in". Yes, I was assigned a Regional game, and I am very excited.I'm also very confident I will do OK. Thanks for your encouragement during my "down time" earlier this year. The system still needs a lot of input from officials, though.
Attaboy!
I've got some good stuff I'll snail mail to you. Nail your officials manual and I'll send you the rest of the story.
You did *Hang in and Hold on* !
mick
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
My biggest mistake was going back to 2-whistle.

Roger that! Sometimes think I should be rotating when doing 2-man. I know you can "go over" for post play, but I sometimes feel like I should rotate as lead.

Hardest thing for me to learn (and this is the easiest step), is to always go opposite the table if you call the foul. Don't know why it took so long to "click".
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 08:05am
In Memoriam

Re: Da butt grab

Quote:
Originally posted by zebracz
Hey Tony,

Nice! An old grandma grabbed your butt!?!

Tony wasn't specific. Coulda been one of her 2 cowboy friends.