The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

CYO game, im trail team a driving to basket for layup, team b goes for block and makes contact with shooters torso, easy call push team b1, two shots. team b1 player proceeds to say bullcrap as he slammed ball to floor, another easy call, unsportsmen like conduct T on player b1. well player does stop griping after first so i hit with another T, about the same time i hit the second T, b2 starts mouthing off how b1 is right that it was all ball, i call b2 flagrant foul your also out of the game, i believe he was inciting b1. i felt i made the right call with all the T, do you guys think i over reacted on the flagrant call on b2? by the way earlier in the game coach makes the comment: thats not your area you cant make that call thats referee 101 as i glance at him hes 4 steps on the court guess what T. ive officiated about 20 sub varsity games this year with not one T. i pride myself on being a good official and believed i called a good game for both team, i guess it was just one of those games?
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roadking
CYO game, im trail team a driving to basket for layup, team b goes for block and makes contact with shooters torso, easy call push team b1, two shots.
1st, I'm not saying the call is good or not. I obviously was not there. There can be contact and not foul. Just give it some thought, was it a foul or just a little contact.

Quote:
[B]

well player does stop griping after first so i hit with another T,
B]
Do you mean does NOT?

Quote:
[B]
about the same time i hit the second T, b2 starts mouthing off how b1 is right that it was all ball, i call b2 flagrant foul your also out of the game,
B]
Warning 1st, get away and make him earn a T, not Flagrant.

Quote:
[B]
by the way earlier in the game coach makes the comment: thats not your area you cant make that call thats referee 101 as i glance at him hes 4 steps on the court guess what T. B]
Great call.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Without being there it is difficult to say what was right or wrong. Issuing a T is very dependent on the exact circumstances and the current flow of the game. My only comment would be that I would not have given B2 the flagrant T for mouthing off. I certainly would have given the simple T though and given him the opportunity to shut up and avoiding being ejected from the game.

I was taught that if you feel that a T is warranted, then give it. Nothing is worse than driving hme after a game and saying to yourself that "I should have given that guy a T."

Last season a coach asked me why I gave his player a T. I answered that officials don't give things away; players/coaches have to earn a T. He sat down and said nothing more the rest of the game.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

You know it is just that time of year...It happens all the time as the season is getting near the end. Coaches who have had a long season are unhappy, players too. Officials who are tired of all the stress can be unhappy. To illustrate, we have 2 4A teams in the town I live in (largest classification in Wyoming). When I am not working a game myself I usually go watch the guys work each weekend here in town. I haven't seen a T in this gym all year long (the two teams usually play all varsity games in a common gym in town). This weekend I saw 3, one of which was mine...so I guess it is just that time of year LOL
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Roadking,

I agree with all of your T's except the Flagrant T. You need to reserve these for something like the player saying FU or commenting on your race, integrity, mother, flipping you the bird, etc. Firedoc has a great point about giving the first T and allowing the player to either shut up or earn ejection.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 09:49am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb I agree. ...Had to be there.

Quote:
i felt i made the right call with all the T, do you guys think i over reacted on the flagrant call on b2?
roadking,
When we question ourselves about awarding technical fouls, it is my opinion that we have probably made a mistake.
mick
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

yes, i meant b1 does not stop mouthing off after first T,i believe his foul on the shooter was out of frustration because they were down by 15 with 90 seconds to go in the game. i do believe i made the right call on b1, but by the letter of the rule of flagrant foul i probably went over board on the flagrant call on b2, i just felt i needed to get control of the players at that point. i dont believe i made a difference in the out come of the game with these ejection but maybe there a lesson somewhere in all this for me and the players?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
yes, i meant b1 does not stop mouthing off after first T,i believe his foul on the shooter was out of frustration because they were down by 15 with 90 seconds to go in the game. i do believe i made the right call on b1, but by the letter of the rule of flagrant foul i probably went over board on the flagrant call on b2, i just felt i needed to get control of the players at that point. i dont believe i made a difference in the out come of the game with these ejection but maybe there a lesson somewhere in all this for me and the players?
The lesson is one I'm still learning and struggling with. Slow down in these high pressure situations and think a little before you do anything. Huddle briefly with your partner if necessary to buy you some time. I sympathize with your situation, I've been there, and done worse by the way. Details withheld based on pleading the fifth.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

After you give one T, get away from the situation and hopefully your partner will step in and handle things. I'm not saying to run away from it but it looks like you've got an itchy trigger finger if you're throwing around that many T's. Above all, if they earn 'em, we shall give 'em.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by firedoc
I answered that officials don't give things away; players/coaches have to earn a T. He sat down and said nothing more the rest of the game.
GREAT RESPONSE!!! I have to put that one in my bag of tricks!