The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Men's JUCO Game
Team A is inbounding on the baseline after a made basket and time out. Team B applies a little bit of pressure and knocks the ball out of bounds. There are now 33 secs. on the shot clock. I am trail going to lead and inbound the ball. I am on my eighth count as A brought the ball into the frontcourt when the C looks to the shot clock sees 25 secs and blows a ten second violation. I come across and tell him that the shot clock was on 33 on the inbounds. Since A had crossed the midline before I got to 10 I gave the ball out of bounds to A. Both coaches accepted the way that this was handled. Did we do it right? I could not find anything in the NCAA book that matched this.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I can only speak for NFHS, but this would be a no-no. An official should not utilize the shot clock to time 10-seconds. He(or she) is supposed to have a visual count for the 10 seconds and this job belongs to the trail. Besides, if the official keeps looking up at the shot clock, he can't maintain a view of the players in his primary area of responsibility.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Of course you got it correct. I hope you had a post game with your partner. Good job.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent whistle. If the ball had been loose, you would have gone to the arrow.

The others are correct. The 10 second violation is by official's count ONLY, and not to be determined by electronic devices. This is why I use a stopwatch when I watch myself on tape, to make sure my counts are as good as I can get them to be.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

I also believe that the shot clock starts when the ball is touched in bounds, but the 10 second count should not start until there is team control. Sometimes these two things do not coincide. A reason not to use the shot clock for a 10 second count.

Of course, in the play above the team gets a whole new ten after the OOB anyway.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 04:32pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Actually, it's a great idea to use the shot clock as a help on a 10 second call. If you are only manually counting what if you call a 10-second violation with 26 seconds left on the shot clock?!?

That being said, you should know when the clock starts and not simply assume that if the clock hits 25 that 10 seconds have elapsed.

Always "referee the clocks" -- you should know the time left on both the game clock and shot clock at every whistle and every transition.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, the shot clock does start on team control when the ball is inbound after a change of possession, so the 10-second count should match the shot clock. In the major conference where I run the clock and shot clock, most of the refs will count themselves, but will not charge the 10-second violation unless the shot clock shows 24. This settles a lot of arguments with coaches.

-rr
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rr
Actually, the shot clock does start on team control when the ball is inbound after a change of possession,
NCAA 2-13.5 disagrees: Art. 5. Start the timing device when a player in bounds legally touches or is touched by the ball on a throw-in

(And, of course, this doesn't even consider that in NCAA, ther is team control during the throw-in)
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

>> NCAA 2-13.5 disagrees: Art. 5. Start the timing device when a player in bounds legally touches or is touched by the ball on a throw-in

You are absolutely correct. My mistake for referring to the older rules and "older" experience running the shot clock.

-rr