The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Art H
I had a game last night, a Girls Varsity, and the situation was as follows: Team A has posession in their front court with 5 secs on shot clock. Player from Team A shoots a 3 point shot, it doesn't hit rim (air ball) the ball hits the floor, player B and player A both grab the ball and we blow a held ball. There's 2 secs left on the shot clock. Team A has the posession arrow. Do we reset the clock? We didn't reset the clock but now I think we should have. I thought the ball no longer has any team or player posession once a shot is made. What's the opinion of this forum?
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Do you reset the shot clock if the shot doesn't hit the rim? No.

Do you reset the shot clock if Team A keeps the ball after an AP sitch? No.

I think you made the right call.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 11:32am
In Memoriam

No reset

Art H,
Like Tony said, no reset.

BR rule 2-12 Art. 7.g says

Stop the timing device and continue time without rest when play begins under the following circumstances: (g) after simultaneous held ball ...occurs during a throw-in and the possession arrow favors the throw-in team.

mick
Old Sun Dec 10, 2000, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Talking

The key word would be simultaneously. If a shot is taken and both A1 and B1 grab the ball simultaneously...then you have a reset.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Art H
Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Flannery
The key word would be simultaneously. If a shot is taken and both A1 and B1 grab the ball simultaneously...then you have a reset.
Can you tell me where this is in the rule book?I vaguely remember talking about this situation in class last year.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Talking

In california we use the college rules for shot clocks...because there is no team control on a shot...and the ball was grab at the same time... you get a reset.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 08:17am
In Memoriam

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Flannery
Dennis,
I think you have misinterpreted the rule, or you did not qualify your statement to say the non-shoooting team has the arrow, which was not the case.

As stated above:

BR rule 2-12 Art. 7.says"

Art.7 Stop the timing device and continue time without reset when play begins under the following circumstances: (g) after simultaneous held ball ...occurs during a throw-in and the possession arrow favors the throw-in team.

Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Dennis for the following reasons. NCAA 2-13-6-d states "Stop the timing device and reset it: (d) when a held ball occurs except for 2-13-7-d and 2-13-7g." Those sections address a held ball and state when the shot clock should not be reset. (d) says during team control (which we don't have in this situation because of the try) a defensive player causes a held ball and the possession arrow favors the offensive team. (g) says after a simultaneous held ball occurs during a throw-in (we have a try not a throw-in) and the possession arrow favors the throw-in team. In my opinion, those are the only two situations where you don't reset the shot clock. Here you had no team control. There was a try for goal but not a shot clock try. Since team control ended, then a held ball occurred, I believe it gets reset. Some may argue that if it was an airball and team A rebounded there would have been no reset. Again, my thinking is that's correct because you had a "try" but not a "shot clock try" under NCAA rules. The difference being a shot clock try is defined as the ball having left the player's hand(s) before the sounding of the shot clock horn and then striking the ring or flange or entering the basket. We did not have a shot clock try in this situation. Since the NFHS doesn't use a shot clock, the NCAA rules are the guidelines.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 10:01am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Yer Right. I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally posted by walter
I agree with Dennis for the following reasons. NCAA 2-13-6-d states "Stop the timing device and reset it: (d) when a held ball occurs except for 2-13-7-d and 2-13-7g." Those sections address a held ball and state when the shot clock should not be reset. (d) says during team control (which we don't have in this situation because of the try) a defensive player causes a held ball and the possession arrow favors the offensive team. (g) says after a simultaneous held ball occurs during a throw-in (we have a try not a throw-in) and the possession arrow favors the throw-in team. In my opinion, those are the only two situations where you don't reset the shot clock. Here you had no team control. There was a try for goal but not a shot clock try. Since team control ended, then a held ball occurred, I believe it gets reset. Some may argue that if it was an airball and team A rebounded there would have been no reset. Again, my thinking is that's correct because you had a "try" but not a "shot clock try" under NCAA rules. The difference being a shot clock try is defined as the ball having left the player's hand(s) before the sounding of the shot clock horn and then striking the ring or flange or entering the basket. We did not have a shot clock try in this situation. Since the NFHS doesn't use a shot clock, the NCAA rules are the guidelines.
Walter,
Yes!! I agree with you and Dennis. Thank you.
Your call is reinforced by ruling AR17 in 9-10.2 :

A.R.17 With the alternating possession arrow in favor of Team A and 20 seconds remaining on the shot clock, A1's try for a goal lodges...
Ruling: Team A shall be awarded possession for a throw-in and the shot clock shall be reset.

Thanks again.
mick

Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, that may be true...

if it hits the rim. But would the Shot clock be reset if shot an airball and then had a jump ball situation with Team B. When Team A gets the ball back, would the Shot Clock be reset also???
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 09:31pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb a Thought

Quote:
Originally posted by MREUROREF
if it hits the rim. But would the Shot clock be reset if shot an airball and then had a jump ball situation with Team B. When Team A gets the ball back, would the Shot Clock be reset also???

I believe so because, within the cases:
Each try ended in a possession arrow situation.

mick
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

if you read the 1st post it was an air ball that we were talking about.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Re: Okay, that may be true...

Quote:
Originally posted by MREUROREF
If B gets the ball, the shot clock is always reset (either on the touch or on the posession, depending)

If A gets the ball, in this case (shot, missed rim, held ball, arrow to A), also reset it. (It's item D6 on my handout of NCAA Men's Women's Shot Clock Situations)

I think it was clearly explained previously in this thread.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Hey i just got this question wrong on our national test (CIAU), the correct answer according to NCAA rules is that they is to be a reset of the shot clock.

I don't like it but that what the rule states.

keep smiling
SH
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Smile State by state....

As indicated above, NFHS does not use the shot clock. So, if you do, then it is because your state has implemented a state-rule and those could vary from state to state.

California uses the shot clock and this case is directly our of the state book. With a simultaneous rebound, the clock resets. (So if you were in California you did it wrong. Sorry.) However, if A rebounds the ball, then B causes a held ball, and the A/P points to A, then the inbound is done without reseting the clock. (Another case right out of our book.)

Again, every state could differ.