View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 10:01am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Yer Right. I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally posted by walter
I agree with Dennis for the following reasons. NCAA 2-13-6-d states "Stop the timing device and reset it: (d) when a held ball occurs except for 2-13-7-d and 2-13-7g." Those sections address a held ball and state when the shot clock should not be reset. (d) says during team control (which we don't have in this situation because of the try) a defensive player causes a held ball and the possession arrow favors the offensive team. (g) says after a simultaneous held ball occurs during a throw-in (we have a try not a throw-in) and the possession arrow favors the throw-in team. In my opinion, those are the only two situations where you don't reset the shot clock. Here you had no team control. There was a try for goal but not a shot clock try. Since team control ended, then a held ball occurred, I believe it gets reset. Some may argue that if it was an airball and team A rebounded there would have been no reset. Again, my thinking is that's correct because you had a "try" but not a "shot clock try" under NCAA rules. The difference being a shot clock try is defined as the ball having left the player's hand(s) before the sounding of the shot clock horn and then striking the ring or flange or entering the basket. We did not have a shot clock try in this situation. Since the NFHS doesn't use a shot clock, the NCAA rules are the guidelines.
Walter,
Yes!! I agree with you and Dennis. Thank you.
Your call is reinforced by ruling AR17 in 9-10.2 :

A.R.17 With the alternating possession arrow in favor of Team A and 20 seconds remaining on the shot clock, A1's try for a goal lodges...
Ruling: Team A shall be awarded possession for a throw-in and the shot clock shall be reset.

Thanks again.
mick