The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Question

I get calls from several people in my chapter because they know I communicate with refs all over the country. There were two incidents this past week and I was asked to post them and solicite opinions from the forum.

1. Boys Varsity, close game until about :55 left in the 4th when 4 technicals were given to players on Team B (the visitors) with one player being disqualified. Team A now has a 10 point lead and the ball. When play is resumed, Team B stands in backcourt, next to their bench. Team A inbounds and holds the ball until the time runs off the clock. I was assured that the game was "officiated well" although the ending sounds suspect to me. Coach B kept his players close because he said he did not want them to get hurt. I was asked if I would assess another "T" to make Team B play? Personally, I said no, I would not assess another "T" to Team B.

2. Girls Varsity, Team A is home and down by 12 points with 1:30 in the 4th. Team A is playoff bound regardless of the outcome of the game and is playing a non-conference rival game. Team A is on defense and Team B is stalling. On a given signal, all five players of Team A fall to the floor and begin "wiggling like worms." Coach of Team A laughs. I was asked if I would "T" and if so, all 5 girls? the head coach? I said no, but, if Team A were ahead, I would interpret this as taunting and would probably "T" all 5 girls.

Your thoughts? Both games were regular season games as the the playoffs will begin next week.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

No T

I think you handled it well. Seeing the boys game ended with a bang, I see no problem in letting the clock run out and assuring no further issues. As far as the girls games go, same thing. If A wants to fall on the floor and wriggle like worms, who cares. This is supposed to be a game...fun...let the kids have some. I don't see how it would be taunting. Just my opinion.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

1) All five B players are on the floor. What are they doing that is illegal? There is no rule forcing B to "play.'

2) I would laugh. No T. If we're lucky, maybe Team A's Athletic Director will tell his coach to teach basketball instead of worm farming.

Z
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
all five players of Team A fall to the floor and begin "wiggling like worms."
I hope the B team players passed the ball around, worked their way into the key, and got an easy 2. That's the best response to this kind of childish tantrum.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Zebraman,

Check out rule 10-5b. If they refuse to inbounds a made basket, this would definitely apply. But I think I would just let the game clock run and call it a night.

You might also apply 2-5-4 if this happened earlier in the game.

I couldn't find it right off hand, but I remember the words "travesty of the game" in the book, but couldn't locate it right away.

Just some things to think about. Doesn't necessarily apply here, but could.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

BigJoe,

I assume you mean rule 10-1-5B (there is no rule 10-5b). However, that has to do with a team preventing the ball from being live or from being put in play. That isn't the case here so it doesn't apply. A has the ball and all of Team B's players are on the floor. There is no way to apply 10-1-5B to this.

2-5-4? First of all, this wouldn't happen earlier in the game. It happened because there was less than a minute left and the coach just wanted to get out of there without the game becoming even more of a fiasco than it sounds like it became. Let the coach do that!

Z
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I will agree with the rest of the respondants. Neither situation warrants any type of action from the officials.

BTW...Tell all of your associates that they are free to log on and post here also!