View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Question

I get calls from several people in my chapter because they know I communicate with refs all over the country. There were two incidents this past week and I was asked to post them and solicite opinions from the forum.

1. Boys Varsity, close game until about :55 left in the 4th when 4 technicals were given to players on Team B (the visitors) with one player being disqualified. Team A now has a 10 point lead and the ball. When play is resumed, Team B stands in backcourt, next to their bench. Team A inbounds and holds the ball until the time runs off the clock. I was assured that the game was "officiated well" although the ending sounds suspect to me. Coach B kept his players close because he said he did not want them to get hurt. I was asked if I would assess another "T" to make Team B play? Personally, I said no, I would not assess another "T" to Team B.

2. Girls Varsity, Team A is home and down by 12 points with 1:30 in the 4th. Team A is playoff bound regardless of the outcome of the game and is playing a non-conference rival game. Team A is on defense and Team B is stalling. On a given signal, all five players of Team A fall to the floor and begin "wiggling like worms." Coach of Team A laughs. I was asked if I would "T" and if so, all 5 girls? the head coach? I said no, but, if Team A were ahead, I would interpret this as taunting and would probably "T" all 5 girls.

Your thoughts? Both games were regular season games as the the playoffs will begin next week.