The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Situation: Player A is fouled, and Team A is in the double bonus. After foul is called, Player A and Player B, face off and start to "mouth" to one another, a double technical is called. Player A goes to the line to shot his double bonus foul shots. After first shot is made, horn blows and the scorer informs the referee that the technical foul on Player A, was his fifth foul. So you now see the situation that we have found ourselves in. Player A has already shot and made one free throw, he is entitled to a second attempt, but he is now a "disqualified player"...What should happen from here?? Do you let Player A shot his second shot and then replace him, or do you count his first one, since he or the officials didnt know he had fouled out, and make his sub shoot foul shot two? or do you remove the first fould shot and make Player A's sub shoot both free throws? I can not find this situation in any "Case Book"..Please give me your opinion and where in the rule book is this covered.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
I do not have my rule book with me but I think that since the free throws are awarded in the order that the fouls occurred, that player A would shoot the free throws. His substitute would come in after the last throw for the alternating arrow possession for the double-T.

Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Error?

Perhaps we have a correctable error?
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Smile Sub to shoot final freethrow

A player is disqualified when the official notifies the coach and then the player. A replacement is brought in within the 30 sec time frame and the replacement would shoot the second free throw and you would count the first free throw if made. If no sub is available any team member on the floor may shoot the final freethrow.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Re: Error?

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
Perhaps we have a correctable error?
Good point!

See Rule 2-10 Correctable Errors
Unmerited free throw.
Before next live ball mind you.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

It is not an unmerited free throw or a correctable error. Player A was still a legal player when he shot the first foul shot because he had not been disqualified yet. The free throw counts and his sub will shoot the second free throw.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
It is not an unmerited free throw or a correctable error. Player A was still a legal player when he shot the first foul shot because he had not been disqualified yet. The free throw counts and his sub will shoot the second free throw.
This one has my vote!
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

error

We disreguard the error of substituion and then call it a merited freethrow? Opinion or fact?
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

What free throws are correctable?

I also thought that free throws by the wrong player were corredtable errors?
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Re: What free throws are correctable?

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
As stated above...

Did player A have 5 personal fouls - Yes

Is he a disqualified player - No

The table officials did not notify the court officals of the disqualification, hence the court officials did not notify the coach and player, hence the player is not a disqualified player, hence the wrong player did not shoot a frew throw, hence no unmerited free throw was taken, hence no correctable error.

Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: error

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
We disreguard the error of substituion and then call it a merited freethrow? Opinion or fact?
There is no "error of substitution". The officials on the floor properly let A1 shoot his first FT because they were not yet informed by the officials at the table that A1 had 5 fouls. Once informed A1's sub gets the second FT and we finish the game.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Re: What free throws are correctable?

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
They are.

But this wasn't FTs by the wrong player.

Look, if A1 gets the 5th foul, but the table doesn't let us know for a few minutes, during which A1 gets a steal, socres a basket, commits a TO, we don't go back and "undo" all of that -- it's not correctable. The FT situation is no different.

In fact, even if the table does let the officials know, and the officials decide to let A1 shoot before s/he goes to the bench (since the ball will be dead after the last shot anyway), it's not correctable. It's a "substitution error" (yes, I made that term up), not FTs by the wrong shooter. The FED had a specific interp on this a few years ago.

Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Which?

Did the right player shoot the free throw or the wrong player?
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Undo all that!

I agree that we don't undo all that because that is not correctable.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

My $0.02

An unmeritted free-throw is one that should not have been given. The A player was fouled while his team was in the double bonus. Therefore the free-throws are meritted.

Also, the A player is the correct player to shoot the free-throws. He is not officially disqualified until the coach is notified. Since the officials were not notified until after the first free-throw, that was the earliest moment that they could notify the coach.

This is not a correctable error situation. A's free-throw stands. Have A's sub shoot the second free throw.