The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Have you ever had a situation where (2Man or 3Man) your partner blows on your line???

Well Last night, not once, not twice, but three times in the first half, my partner (3Man) not only blew on MY Line, BUT gave direction TOO! Twice...his direction was opposite of mine.

The first time he pointed at his foot, so trusting my partner, I thought "maybe" he had a better angle...

Second, he pointed the same direction...we agree on the call, but I notice a trend.

The Third time he tries to "sell the call" and point twice with emphasis. Well, I'm not buying!!! I motion for a conference...Let's talk, now!

It didn't happen again the first half. And at half time it's wasn't the best...because he busy discussing philosophy and I talking credibility.

BUT MY QUESTION is how can we prevent this from happening without coming off like, "THAT'S MY LINE!"

And what signal do you all use if any if you, "JUST DIDN'T SEE IT?"

I sometimes see official use the hands over the eyes.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

It may be hopeless with guys who insist on calling their partner's line, and I've seen some who are like that. Usually, it seems to be older guys who are "old style" refs for whom the game has somewhat passed them by. Younger guys tend to be a bit more coachable. Regardless, I would simply try as you did to explain what line is whose call (the mechanics book is clear on this), then make it clear to him that if it's my line I intend to make the final call no matter what direction he pointed, unless I specifically asked for help.

As far as the "I-didn't-see-it" mechanic, I ALWAYS pre-game this point and emphasize the need for the non-calling official (in 2-man) to be looking at his partner on all OOB calls. If I don't know, I make eye contact with him (or with the official nearest to the call in 3-man), which is his signal to make a call if he has it. Some guys look at and maybe step toward that other official and call out "Help," at which time he gives a direction. Either or both are accepted mechanics to get help on a line call.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I have a simple "I didn't see it" signal. I say loudly
so everyone hears "I didn't see it!" and I give the call
up. Once the call has been made by a partner I mirror
whichever way he points. Simple, works everytime.

The guys that habitually blow your line are habitually
watching the ball and the only thing you can do to
get them to stop is to tell them "Stop blowing my line!".
They'll still watch the ball but hopefully they will
hold their whistle on your line.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 01:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MREUROREF
Have you ever had a situation where (2Man or 3Man) your partner blows on your line??? [QUOTE]

Why don't you just carry a picture of the cast of "Whose Line Is It Anyway", pull it out of your pocket and show it to him?

Quote:
I sometimes see official use the hands over the eyes.
Oh yeah - that's a good image in front of coaches and fans.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 01:42pm
In Memoriam

Cool $0.25

Lines:
If I call my partners' line, I give them a quarter.
If they call mine, I get a quarter.

Directions:
If I don't know, I make eye contact and shake my head slightly. They give me the direction, or they look at me and do nothing, or shake their head slightly. Then, thumbs up!

mick

mick
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

My mechanic is quite similar...in my pregame, I try to tell my partner: "Partner, if the ball goes out on my line, I will definitely see it go out...but, depending on where the play is, there's a chance I won't know who touched it last. If that's the case, I'll blow my whistle, raise my hand to stop the clock, and give you the dumbest look I have. If you see that look, please just sell the call for me." I ask him/her to sell the call so that I don't get that wimpy index-finger-point-in-front-of-the-chest to communicate it to me...just do it so we can get on with our lives.

This has worked, even though I live most of my life with a dumb look on my face...

Paul
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Young or old, rookie or vet. Let him know he is watching ball and if you need help you will ask for it according to the pregame. If he doesn't want to listen and learn, let your supervisor know.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
This is a pre-game issue with me. This is one of those plays that usually happens to the Lead. I tell my partner if I don't see who it goes out on I will crack the whistle, raise the hand and give them the "deer in the headlights" look. At that point I want to see a direction if you know, if you don't give the jump ball and we are going to the arrow. Work for me.

As far as Paul from Seattle although I have never actually worked with him I can concure with his quote.

"This has worked, even though I live most of my life with a dumb look on my face..."