The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

The subject sort of says it all.

Interesting situation though, the scorers table did something that he mustn't of liked, he let out a loud, "For Christ's sake" WHACK!! then he slams his clipboard on the bech WHACK!!. Now, i'm just wondering if i should've upgraded the first T to a flagerant T, or gave the two T's like i did, and have B shoot 4 Shots?

BTW, it was one of the funnest things i've ever done.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

I have only tossed one coach in three years. I did not consider it fun, but I did consider it necessary.

Remember when calling techs, it is a tool that we have. We can use it when necessary, but do it in a business-like manner. Never give the impression that you are glad or upset. In fact, this is a good time to slow down and take a deep breath.

BTW, it's late January and I find the coaches are frustrated at this time of year. I have given three techs in the last four games, the same number of techs I had given up to this point for the season.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 06:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18

Interesting situation though, the scorers table did something that he mustn't of liked, he let out a loud, "For Christ's sake" WHACK!! then he slams his clipboard on the bech WHACK!!. Now, i'm just wondering if i should've upgraded the first T to a flagerant T, or gave the two T's like i did, and have B shoot 4 Shots?

Am I the only one that doesn't see this as a situation that gets a coach tossed?
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

Am I the only one that doesn't see this as a situation that gets a coach tossed?
I'm un-sure about that. I think both were warranted technical fouls, but I don't think it warranted an ejection.

However, as you know, 2 = gone. Granted, he could have at least made them better.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Let me preface this with the proverbial, "I would have had to been there to know the WHOLE situation."

Sorry if the following sounds like a personal attack. It is not done with malicious intent, but rather as a constructive criticism.

It does appear that Ref18 is a bit "T" happy in this situation. What concerns me the most about this situation is the statement that it was the "funniest thing". I would rarely label any of my T's as fun or funny. As mentioned earlier, they should be administered as business-like as possible, despite the chaos around the situation.

Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

i think i put the "funnest" remark a bit out of context. It refers to the fact that me and my partner were joking about it all day.

It also gave me a jolt of adrenaline, and that felt good.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Snip
he let out a loud, "For Christ's sake" WHACK!! then he slams his clipboard on the bech WHACK!!. Now, i'm just wondering if i should've upgraded the first T to a flagerant T, or gave the two T's like i did, and have B shoot 4 Shots?
This may be blaspheme but it is not the profanity that should get one ejected from a game.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Rich,
I agree with you, I think that after the first I probably would have passed on the clipboard and if questioned called it all one situation.

We did have an interesting situation last nite. Semi rivalry game..visiting coach is not loud or obnoxious but the cutesy comments were pushing the limit...for example...after a time out he asks "do you guys work a lot of games (insert pause here) here" ....well in the middle of the pause, I started to reply yes..then he adds the "here" and I have to add, "no not here" he has a couple of these, and had I not walked into them like a bafoon I might have T'd him up...anyway..late in the game in which he is losing by 30, I am trail, there has just been a no-call the last time up the floor that he didn't like. I am following the ball in some light pressure, as my partner goes by the coach he throws his sweater at him.... I hear the whistle, look over see the sweater and a coach near it...I know what is next and Wham there it is the T...I found out later how the sweater (which I thought was a towell) got there...We didn't toss him, but I think we should have....
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 01:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:

Snip
he let out a loud, "For Christ's sake" WHACK!! then he slams his clipboard on the bech WHACK!!. Now, i'm just wondering if i should've upgraded the first T to a flagerant T, or gave the two T's like i did, and have B shoot 4 Shots?
This may be blaspheme but it is not the profanity that should get one ejected from a game.
What profanity? I didn't SEE any profanity, frankly. I am on a basketball court when I officiate, not in church. I try to recognize that my values may not quite match up with the participants'.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Snip
What profanity? I didn't SEE any profanity, frankly. I am on a basketball court when I officiate, not in church. I try to recognize that my values may not quite match up with the participants'.
Rich I think that is what I said!
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 11:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Snip
Rich I think that is what I said!
I know I quoted yours, but I was agreeing with you. Sloppy posting
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
i think i put the "funnest" remark a bit out of context. It refers to the fact that me and my partner were joking about it all day.

It also gave me a jolt of adrenaline, and that felt good.
I still can't see how this would be fun.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

If this was action-T, action=-T, I would say the ejection may have been warranted. But it sounds like it was action, action - T, T. I think if both happened before you got one T out, regardless if they were two independently T-able offenses, you might want to go with one and sit him down.

If he keeps it up, you don't have to have too long a leash since he was close the first time. And yes, I too wonder why this was fun, even after the fact. This should be a rare event, and not one worth a lot of post game humor.

[Edited by Hawks Coach on Feb 2nd, 2004 at 10:41 AM]
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

There are definitely some refs who get off on the power they have. That may be one of the reasons they got into officiating. Hopefully officials like that never make it past freshman games. You see the same type of thing in all walks of life - it shouldn't be surprising to see it in officiating. I'm not condoning it, just being realistic.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I learned a valuable lesson in this post.

Let the coach be upset with your call.

Looking back i think i may have been a bit quick with the second T. Next time, if a situation like this ever comes up again, i'll excercise some restraint.

Thanks guys for your views, and opinions. As a newer official, i'm always improving some aspect of my game with the advice i recieve from this forum.