The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting article. BTW, is this the Lonnie Dixon that sometimes contributes to this site?

Would be interested in your take on this guys.

http://www.abqtrib.com/archives/spor...orts_eye.shtml
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 05:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
Interesting article. BTW, is this the Lonnie Dixon that sometimes contributes to this site?

davidw,
YU.P., ...an interesting article with no ending.
A legitimate reporter would have asked around to determine which ref had the whistle, or if the whistle was from the stands.
I've heard *shoe squeaks* loud enough to be mistaken for a *Fox tweet*.
mick
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by davidw

davidw,
YU.P., ...an interesting article with no ending.
A legitimate reporter would have asked around to determine which ref had the whistle, or if the whistle was from the stands.
I've heard *shoe squeaks* loud enough to be mistaken for a *Fox tweet*.
mick
Not defending anyone here or anything, but he isn't a reporter he is a columnist, and thusly is mostly opionion and very little fact...I haven't noticed Dixon contributing here, what is his nicname?? We see him quite often out here in Wyoming, and the Mountain West...
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder if the Hand up and then down might have been the proper mechanics in the last min. of the game to start the clock after a made basket. Sounds like this columnist has decided to mouth off instead of doing some work to get all the facts.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I wonder if the Hand up and then down might have been the proper mechanics in the last min. of the game to start the clock after a made basket. Sounds like this columnist has decided to mouth off instead of doing some work to get all the facts.
Good point I don't ref NCAA but last minute of the game I believe the clock stops after a made basket so it sounds like the ref was following proper mechanic to raise hand and then drop it (if the ball was passed in). True? And regardless of if the ref had blown a whistle or not wouldn't it be an automatic T for coming on to the floor? I feel like someone should write an email to this guy (his address is posted with the article) and might do it myself but want to confirm my knowledge of NCAA rules first. Anybody here actually see the game?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Thumbs up

I saw the Game! They were right on! So was Dixon! I watched it on FOX. However, according to the article, the local tv broadcast had a long mic down on the floor. I'd be interested to find if this is actual fact--that viewing their tape would show us an actual whistle being blown. BUT, while I was watching it live (and I recorded it, too) I heard no whistle and the guys working it gave no impression that one was blown. In fact, the announcers on the tv never mentioned it either. And, the show against Bigalo was not even as bad as the article states. "It's just one of those things that happens, in a game," was more the attitude. Bigalo had just fouled out and he just overacted in celebration. NM threw the ball in very quickly, and dribbled up the sideline quickly--right around Bigalo. The clock stops after EVERY made basket in NCAA. So, the Zebra would have been chopping the clock, as ya'll have stated. I thought the admin was excellent.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by zebracz
...The clock stops after EVERY made basket in NCAA. So, the Zebra would have been chopping the clock, as ya'll have stated.
You sure about that?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 09:37am
If you need me, text me!

Quote:
The clock stops after EVERY made basket in NCAA. So, the Zebra would have been chopping the clock, as ya'll have stated
Not quite true...

Here's the rule! The clock stops in the last minute of the second half or extra period (rule 2-12-11).
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
OC.

Thanks, I actually looked it up, after I posted...and realized that the clock stops only during the last minute (like you said). Thx, again.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by zebracz
BUT, while I was watching it live (and I recorded it, too) I heard no whistle and the guys working it gave no impression that one was blown. In fact, the announcers on the tv never mentioned it either. And, the show against Bigalo was not even as bad as the article states. "It's just one of those things that happens, in a game," was more the attitude.
It felt to you like no one reacted to the whistle, but others disagree. Interesting. Of course, the columnist is just a sports writer, who doesn't have a clue. I wonder what the MWC saw on the tape they watched, that made them think this wasn't handled properly. I wish I could see it for myself.

Oh, and by the way, thadbrown, "What a jerk!" isn't the best thing to say about a ref on this board. Don't say you weren't warned.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 10:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by thadbrown
[BDixon is finished officiating this season and hopefully will not be allowed to return at all. What a jerk!

[/B]
Why don't you go find yourself a fan board, fanboy. You can talk with all the other fanboys about how the mean, nasty officials are out to get you. This forum is for officials. Also grownups.

Now go away!
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Well I obviously haven't made myself any friends here. I guess I'm just missing something huge here, because I can't see anything to justify the actions of this official. Enough out of me.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 10:16pm
In Memoriam

Any time you come here and call an official a "coward" and a "jerk" without hearing their side of the story, well, you deserve everything that you get, fanboy.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 10:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Definition of Gratuitous

Fanboy, your post is the epitome of gratuitous. This thread had been dead for 3 weeks, and you come in to post a three-week old press release. I can think your only purpose of posting was to vent. Venting against officials is generally frowned upon, for good reason.
The fact is the guy made a mistake and is paying for it. When you make comments like, "hopefully he won't be allowed to return at all," I'm left to assume that you've never made a mistake in your job.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 11:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by thadbrown
Well I obviously haven't made myself any friends here. I guess I'm just missing something huge here, because I can't see anything to justify the actions of this official. Enough out of me.
Absolutely.