The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 06, 2000, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Can anyone reccomend a good pair of insoles? Legs ache constantly.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2000, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfox
Can anyone reccomend a good pair of insoles? Legs ache constantly.
What part of your legs? Shins? Thighs? Knees? What kind of shoes are you wearing? Insoles may or may not help.

For shin splints, buy a couple of pairs of support socks. I got mine at CVS. I used to have terrible shin splints, but not anymore.

Long compression pants as opposed to shorts are worn by a lot of officials. They seem to save your legs from some of the fatigue.

Spenco makes excellent insoles. There more like orthotics than the cheaper soft insoles. Stay away from those. last month, there was a post on leg, knee and foot pain. Just scroll down to find it.

Hope something here helps.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
When I first started reffing about a year ago, I began going through just about every kind of pain there is, one item at a time. Here are the two things that have helped me the most. #1 Find a good personal trainer who can watch you work a little and give you a good warm up routine and a good work-out for your off days. #2 As BkBallRef says, that thread last month had lots of great info about brands and makes of shoes and inserts. I took some of those suggestions and have greatly reduced the after-effects that I suffered last year. Keep trying new things until something works for you!
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

My personal fav are the sorbothane ultras. They are blue and orange, can't miss em' The will cost you $20, but they make your feet and legs sing (remember most leg pain starts at your feet). I have tried the spenco version and I just don't think they provide the same level of cushion, but more import shock absorbsion. Of course, you need to find the right one for you, everyone will have their own opinion, but you need to be comfortable, not us.

Also, go spend 5-6 bucks on some reusable gel style ice packs. I got some at mejiers called ice quilts, they look like a quilt but each square is ice. The material in between each piece of ice makes it flexible and will wrap around my leg. I ice down after every game, and if I am in a long stretch of back-to-back games I ice down in the morning. This will help even more than the insoles. Just remember to put a towel or old sheet between your legs and the ice pack so you down get frost bite.