The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Question

Team A1 is fouled and going to the line for 2 free throws. The coach from team B calls all five players to his bench while the shooter shoots his first attempt. The first free throw is made and team B does not break the huddle. We wait a couple of seconds and still no team B. We give the shooter the ball for the second attempt with out team b having two players on the blocks, or any other players in the lane.

What is the rule?
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

No Resumption of Play

Resumption of Play is not applicable because that is only after a time out or start of a period. The rule is that the low spot must be occupied by an opponent. Get them into the spot. If they don't, it's a T for delay of game.

Mregor
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 08:33am
In Memoriam

Before the first FT, you should have directed team B to immediately fill the bottom 2 spaces. If they don't, it's a T. Then you would administer all of the FT's with the lanes cleared, and A would get the throw-in at center. Rule 4-46-2 and casebook play 10.1.5SitC(b) are the pertinant citations.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

That is excatly what we did, after the T I report the violation to the score table. Coach comes out points his finger at my partner and say "that is bullshi*" loud enough that the whole gym heard it and my partner T'd him up. This all happened in the first half. the game was close at halftime. The team that got the T for the voliation was a far better team than the team they were playing. Second half the coach now has to stay seated. Instead of riding the officials he decided to coach. Completely different game the second half. The team is well coached and they go on to win by 12 points.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Violation

As far as NCAA rules are concerned, I don't agree that it's a T. I believe you have a delayed violation, and if A misses the FT, whistle the violation and shoot again. Reference Rule 9, Art.3, A.R.4. Although not the exact play as you indicated, it does state that it is an automatic delayed violation on B for not occupying the bottom lane spaces.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Re: Violation

Quote:
Originally posted by NCAAREF
As far as NCAA rules are concerned, I don't agree that it's a T. I believe you have a delayed violation, and if A misses the FT, whistle the violation and shoot again. Reference Rule 9, Art.3, A.R.4. Although not the exact play as you indicated, it does state that it is an automatic delayed violation on B for not occupying the bottom lane spaces.
Note that the AR begins with "After a TO ..."

This means that the resuming play procedure is in effect.

In the play at hand, there was no TO, and no resuming of play procedure.

Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Agree with TO

Bob I understand that the play mentioned follows a TO, and that is why I said "not the exact same play", but I still don't think it's a T. If the defense doesn't want to occupy the bottom spot in my opinion so what? A1 can keep on shooting until they make the FT. I don't see how it's a delay of game T. It's not delaying the game, A1 is shooting.
I'll run it by our interpreter ans see what he thinks. Interesting.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
Team A1 is fouled and going to the line for 2 free throws. The coach from team B calls all five players to his bench while the shooter shoots his first attempt. The first free throw is made and team B does not break the huddle. We wait a couple of seconds and still no team B. We give the shooter the ball for the second attempt with out team b having two players on the blocks, or any other players in the lane.
What is the rule?
Before the first FT, you should have directed team B to immediately fill the bottom 2 spaces. If they don't, it's a T. Then you would administer all of the FT's with the lanes cleared, and A would get the throw-in at center. Rule 4-46-2 and casebook play 10.1.5SitC(b) are the pertinant citations.

That is excatly what we did, after the T I report the violation to the score table. Coach comes out points his finger at my partner and say "that is bullshi*" loud enough that the whole gym heard it and my partner T'd him up. This all happened in the first half. the game was close at halftime. The team that got the T for the voliation was a far better team than the team they were playing. Second half the coach now has to stay seated. Instead of riding the officials he decided to coach. Completely different game the second half. The team is well coached and they go on to win by 12 points.

Hmmm, Clay, did this happen two times?