View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Been busy this month (30 games) @ 3 per night. All city youth rec league. The level of play is not very competetive and many times it's a blow out. Many players don't have a clue how the game is played. (Coaching) Can't really blame the coaches though ( I once was one of them) 'cause they only get 1 hour of practice per week, if they're lucky.

My reffing style in cases of ignorance is to be vocal on calls. That is, in certain instances, I elaborate the call with a short and concise explanation of what happened. To me it all seems like it fits in the flow of the game. It also seems that from the feedback I get from coaches and especially parents, is that they appreciate the communication/education.

I have 8 or so different partners over the course of the season and we're all pretty compatible. One partner, in a nice way, said to me that "they want you to just say the call" example: "Tweet....Blue" and then point.

I presume by "they" he means evaluators and the like.

To me this league is as much instructional as anything else. And if an evaluator just happens to be watching (unlikely) what would be their take.

Opinions?