The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 06, 2000, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Question

Calling all officials!
This is one question that I am sure if answered honestly will be interesting.Before every basketball game I have a way of preparing for my games in a interesting way.When traveling to my games,I must listen to a song on a CD by Quincy Jones called the Verb To Be.This song when I listen to it motivates me like nothing I have ever heard.And when I don't get a chance to listen to this song for whatever reason,I don't get as pumped up as I would like to get before my games.So what I would like my fellow officials to do is,Share with us how you get motivated for your games.Or maybe you don't do anything special.So the question is
"Before your games is there anything you need to do that is very unique in the way you get mentally prepared for your games?

Love and Respect!
Old Wed Dec 06, 2000, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Getting Mentally Prepared

I, too, use music in motivating me for my games. I consider it be an ingredient for my pre-game (with myself). I like Elton John because his songs get my adenaline flowing. I also reflect on my previous game noting any mistakes and promising myself to avoid any repeat of those brain freezes. It helps too, to focus on one thing you'd like to improve on. After my game, I listen to Barbara Streisand because her songs are soothing and relaxing.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2000, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Not a real Adenaline rush!

I do the mundane task of polishing my shoes. While I am making em shine, I think about possible game situations, what to anticipate, what position to be in (my mechanics), etc. I prefer to have some quiet time while I do this.

Along the same lines, what do you, my fellow officials, do to keep yourselves into the game? One thing I am trying that I really like is talking to myself during the game.(something I have adopted after reading the NFHS Newsletter and the article for the NFL referee). "Shot is up, watch action on shooter", "left foot is pivot foot", "Ball crossed 10-second line", etc.

What do you do to keep yourselves into both close games and those 40 point blowouts?

[Edited by mikesears on Dec 6th, 2000 at 02:32 PM]
Old Wed Dec 06, 2000, 03:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Cool It is not that hard for me.

Anytime that I am doing a varsity game, I get motivated right then or days and weeks before the game. I look at it like this, someone would love to be in my shoes at this moment so I feel blessed and fortunate to have the opportunity.

When I am doing anything but, I just try to do the best I can because people are watching me. I want coaches, fans, administrators to if nothing else, to think "it looks like he knows what he is doing." I had about a week ago the first freshman game I had had in about 3 years, and I wanted to look just as sharp and competetent as I do during the biggest varsity game of the year.

I did a preseason varsity scrimmage at a usual powerhouse all by myself. Now, I did not know that I was going to do it all myself, but because I worked hard, I probably will do their Christmas tournament next year. One of the best in the state and parts of the country.

I might not always be happy with the kind of game I have, but someone is watching and that is motivation enough!!!
Old Wed Dec 06, 2000, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Rut. I look at each game similarly whether it is a freshman game or varsity game or college game. To the players, every game is important so why shouldn't it be that for me. To me the key is to be focused yet relaxed. I try and think about game situations, etc. In effect I do a pre-game with myself before arriving at the game site. Once at the site, I try and arrive as early as possible so I can either observe the JV game or get dressed early so I can relax and be focused when my partner(s) arrive for pre-game. I try and not think about anything but the ball game, mechanics, positioning, etc. If there's a JV game it's easy because I can observe the JV officials and watch team movements, etc. In short, I try and think only about basketball. I have also used music as a motivator. My personal favorites are either Enter Sandman by Metallica or Welcome to the Jungle by Guns 'n' Roses.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2000, 06:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

to back up walter.

I will agree with Walter on this one. I try to get there early enough if I am doing a JV game to watch the other officials and most of all see what the teams run. Most of the time what is run at the lower levels is run at the varsity levels. If I am doing a tournament and there are games before mine, I get there in time to watch most of the game before me or at least a couple of games. I just want to see the court, the environment and see how the people are acting in the games. It gets my head into basketball and thinking about the possible situations that might arise. I also like to met up with my partners (whether I know them or not) to just talk with them about the game we are having and the records or anything they might know about the teams. Things like have they seen the coaches before, try to pick up on the officials philosophy, share my philosophy or anything else that might affect the smoothness of a game.

One thing I have also found that I do, is to check the newspaper websites and get scores on teams I do and read things about games that the teams were involved in. I also follow players extensively that I might have down the road. The more information the better and at times this can be a year round thing. Because when you know the star players, you can tell to some extent what they will do to guard them or understand who is going to get the ball and not get the ball. If you know that the player is a hot college prospect, he/she might be cocky about it. And if you God forbid foul them out of a game, you understand the reaction of the coach and fans. Anything I can read to give me information about a conference or players and teams are always good things to know when doing games.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2000, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

As a mother of three small children, I prepare for game night as follows: First, I make sure that everyone's homework is done immediately after school. Second, I feed the kids an early dinner (some fine cuisine like Macaroni-n-cheese with fish sticks and a frozen vegetable...if I can get it down them!) Third, I lay-out all of their pajamas for the high school babysitter who will later put them to bed. Also, I record the phone number for the school gymnasium where I will be and my cell phone number for her in case of an emergency. Fourth, we get in the car and go pick-up the babysitter. Then, I finally leave the house. I probably should find some motivational/ relaxing tune to put on in the car...after all that chaos, I need a "pick-me-up". Oh yeah...lastly, once I'm paid for my officiating services, I come home and give at least half of it to the sitter. Not trying to seek sympathy here....just trying to give some insight on what us "Mom-ref" types go through in order to participate in this noble avocation!
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by doghead
Oh yeah...lastly, once I'm paid for my officiating services, I come home and give at least half of it to the sitter. Not trying to seek sympathy here....just trying to give some insight on what us "Mom-ref" types go through in order to participate in this noble avocation!
Yes, doghead you have my sympathy!! Most of my games are after school, not in the evening, so I put the liitle one down for a nap, prepare dinner for the babysitter to serve, double check arrangements for my school age one, check my bag, dress down, greet the sitter and hope to get out before the little one awakens!

In the car it's Paul Simon's Graceland cassette. For a good mood, and an active pace, nothing works better for me. But the best preparation is the first game. I always do better on the second and third games. What I'll do when I'm getting varsity games, I'm not sure since our assignor won't give varsity games in combination with anything else. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!!
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Question What about Superstitions?Does any officials rub a Buddha's belly?

First thing I would like to thank all the officials for sharing there pre-game motivation secrets with us.Now what I would like to know is how many officials out there are praying,wearing lucky beads(because I see officials with jewelry on all the time.)Or are superstitious and maybe preparing for there games in some different ways.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Re: What about Superstitions?Does any officials rub a Buddha's belly?

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
First thing I would like to thank all the officials for sharing there pre-game motivation secrets with us.Now what I would like to know is how many officials out there are praying,wearing lucky beads(because I see officials with jewelry on all the time.)Or are superstitious and maybe preparing for there games in some different ways.
I'm a Leo, and we Leos don't believe in any of that superstition stuff, knock on wood.

To doghead and rainmaker (and others -- male and female -- who have similar constraints / routines): Thanks.

Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
If I'm going to a game right from work I find that I'll
spend a little too much time checking & rechecking my bag
before I leave the house in the morning & again at least
once before I drive to the game. This is probably the only
thing I do that might be considered obsessive or super-
stitious. If I'm leaving from home I like to give my shoes
a good shine. I use paste so it does kill about 15 minutes
or so. On the way to the game I like to listen to music
that relaxes me. You know, like Metallica ;-) (Just a
joke, I tend towards 50's jazz & 60's/70's rock & roll.)

Hey women refs out there, you really have my admiration
for dealing with your kids & making time to work games,
study, do camps, etc, etc! I must admit I rarely had to be
concerned with getting dinner down my kid's throats before
a game & when I did it's more an adventure. Now that
they're teens they fend for themselves but I do have to
fight my older guy for the heavy metal CDs!
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Actually, Bob Jenkins and Dan-ref, this is the perfect part-time job for a housewife. It has status, pays well compared to Wendy's or such, has flexible hours, is under my control, is great for getting away from the little kids, and the exercise keeps the fit and trim working! So the effort to "get to work" seems worth it all, especially compared to other part-time jobs which I've had in the past!