View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 06, 2000, 06:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

to back up walter.

I will agree with Walter on this one. I try to get there early enough if I am doing a JV game to watch the other officials and most of all see what the teams run. Most of the time what is run at the lower levels is run at the varsity levels. If I am doing a tournament and there are games before mine, I get there in time to watch most of the game before me or at least a couple of games. I just want to see the court, the environment and see how the people are acting in the games. It gets my head into basketball and thinking about the possible situations that might arise. I also like to met up with my partners (whether I know them or not) to just talk with them about the game we are having and the records or anything they might know about the teams. Things like have they seen the coaches before, try to pick up on the officials philosophy, share my philosophy or anything else that might affect the smoothness of a game.

One thing I have also found that I do, is to check the newspaper websites and get scores on teams I do and read things about games that the teams were involved in. I also follow players extensively that I might have down the road. The more information the better and at times this can be a year round thing. Because when you know the star players, you can tell to some extent what they will do to guard them or understand who is going to get the ball and not get the ball. If you know that the player is a hot college prospect, he/she might be cocky about it. And if you God forbid foul them out of a game, you understand the reaction of the coach and fans. Anything I can read to give me information about a conference or players and teams are always good things to know when doing games.