The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
You can hardly blame yourself if the kid wants to stay in the game, and the coach doesn't make an issue of it. You are certainly not responsible to make a medical assessment everytime a player hits the deck. If the kid gets up and wants to keep playing, and the coach hasn't come out onto the court, what's the problem?
I am the adult on the court. The player wants to stay in. She's not a starter and she's not giving up her minutes that easy. So she's not saying anything. I have sent players out of a game on other occasions because my judgment was they needed to leave. When I beckon a coach, I am making the same judgment.

In this case, I did not personally question the player. I usually do that. I saw her get up, I saw that she wanted to stay in and I let my partner put the ball in play. I did not notice she was hurt. After the coach got my attention, I asked if she was OK. She shook her head "No." I may not be a medic, but I do have a responsibility to the players. Just because she is an athlete does not change that she is a high school student who may not be making the best judgment at that moment.