View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Girls' varsity. Close game for second place in the league. Fourth quarter, A1 who has been hitting all night is headed for another one, defenders close down in front of her, but not in time and A1 gets it from both sides, crumples to the floor. Coach A comes running out (without being beckoned), helps A1 off the floor, sub shoots the ft's, game continues. About a minute and a half later, A3 ends up on the floor, Coach A, again without being beckoned, dashes onto floor but my partner intercepts him, and says he must return to the bench until he is beckoned. Meantime, A3 is up and at 'em, so coach slinks back to bench. A ends up winning by 10.

After the game, Coach A comes over to us (we had no dressing room to escape to -- I know, I know, but it just didn't work out) and says, he's sorry about dashing onto the floor, but that rule is ridiculous and who should he sue if someone gets hurt? My partner and I both sort of gape at him -- wha??? He says, his son broke a leg in a game, and now he rushes to any down player as fast as possible and if we try to stop him, it's us -- I mean, we -- that are responsible for the injuries, and he'll sue us. We both said, "Good game, coach, good night" and left.

So getting onto the floor within five seconds after the kid lands there prevents injury? What biology has he been studying?!?!