Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Re: a loss maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by caref
From another post I read that New Mexico was out of time outs. If that was the case it would have been a "T." Two shots for BYU in a tie game andthe ball.
The penalty for an excessive TO in NCAAM does not include loss of ball. (Maybe I'm confused on the play -- but iirc, New Mexico had the ball -- so they'd have it again after the shots for the T)

Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Moral failure

I am a fan, not an official, but I did see the game. Lonnie Dixson, who has been suspended for 2 games and the MWC tourney, represents your profession very poorly. He was suspended, not for an inadvertant whistle, but for letting a college ball player take the heat instead of fessing up to what he did. After the T was called, the refs gathered for a long time discussing things. Dixson had every opportunity to stand up for a small mistake, but he let Bigelow take the blame and look like a fool on National TV. What kind of class is that? Thanks to some alert NM media for calling on the conference to do something about this.

But for Lonnie Dixson to make Bigelow take the heat, and virtually give the game to the other team, is very low. He should never be given a whistle to blow again in college basketball. He had time to make the right decision and fess up before the T shots, but he chose to be a weasel. Other officials should call on him to resign, if only to uphold the dignity of their profession.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Rlighten, lighten up a little. I don't think the Dixon is a poor representation of our "profession". Did he make a mistake? Yes. Is he being held responsible? Yes. Does the punishment fit the crime? Yes. You talk about Bigelow being made to look the fool. How many times have coaches berated officials after games to national media outlets, only to have the film show that the officials were correct. There are usually no big suspensions or anything, so it is a two way street that no one wants to walk down... BTW when did you graduate from BYU??
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

The suspension is probably less than I would give. The rest of the season would be appropriate. I am sure he has a regular job. It is a case of integrity and this official seems to have lost it. D1 basketball is big business and jobs are on the lne every game. Officials, if anything, must be honest. I question that here. If you make a mistake be strong enough to admit it and correct the situation immediatly. It looks like he was not going to say anything until shown video and audio proof. Is that the type of person that should be maintaining the integrity of the game?

If he did not want to grant the time out at the very least, say inadverant whistle, do not give the "T" to the BYU player and play on.

Yes, it is a two way street, but we officials need to be above that and held to higher standards than to coaches whose jobs are on the line based on winning and losing.

I don't care who wins or loses and my mortgage payment is not on the line each time I step foot on the court.

Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Caref, when was the last time you saw a coach fired or suspended for the entire season based on 1 mistake? When was the last time you saw a coach suspended at all for 1 mistake, which doesn't include breaking the law or partying with coeds or strippers?? I would tend to disagree with you on Mr Dixon's other employment. I don't know for sure, but he does work enough conferences that my guess is that this is his primary occupation. I could maybe even accept his suspension from the MWC for the entire season, but what about the Pac 10, Big 12, Sunbelt and all the other conferences that he works? I agree that he should have stepped up, he didn't and he is paying for it..
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 01:27pm
In Memoriam

I haven't heard Lonnie Dixon's version yet. Something to think about.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

as I said we need to be above that
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

cmathews, there is a big difference between a "mistake" and a "choice." Refs make mistakes regularly, but that is part of the game. Lonnie made a decision to stay quiet and let someone else pay the price for his mistake.

By the way, I saw he sell's officiating videos...kind of like Michael Jackson selling babysitting videos, isn't it?
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

JR I agree with you whole heartedly, and have mentioned this a time or two in this and other threads. Lonnie Dixon certainly doesn't need me to defend him, the games he has worked in the past speak for that (NCAA regional finals). Until we hear his side of the story we won't know all of the truth. To compare Lonnie Dixon to Michael Jackson is flat out wrong. Like I asked before Rlighten, when did you graduate from BYU??
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 04:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by rlighten
cmathews, there is a big difference between a "mistake" and a "choice." Refs make mistakes regularly, but that is part of the game. Lonnie made a decision to stay quiet and let someone else pay the price for his mistake.

By the way, I saw he sell's officiating videos...kind of like Michael Jackson selling babysitting videos, isn't it?
Wow, in your second post you've managed to virtually destroy all your credibility. Impressive. A grotesque analogy, I might add.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
JR I agree with you whole heartedly, and have mentioned this a time or two in this and other threads. Lonnie Dixon certainly doesn't need me to defend him, the games he has worked in the past speak for that (NCAA regional finals). Until we hear his side of the story we won't know all of the truth. To compare Lonnie Dixon to Michael Jackson is flat out wrong. Like I asked before Rlighten, when did you graduate from BYU??
1996. But according to refs, things like that don't matter. That is why an Arizona booster can officiate an Arizona football game against Utah, because officials are so pure that they could never show any bias.

So, cmathews, your implication that my opinion is of less value because I am a fan of BYU, would, I guess, also imply that either 1) refs are better than normal humans, or 2) that that refs bias' CAN affect their behavior.

Hmmm.

On a side note, I do find this website (which I discovered today on my quest to find Lonnie Dixson) quite refreshing. Officials are never heard from off the floor, so it is interesting to hear what you all have to say. But I do sense a bit of "us against them" attitude among the posts. Us against the coaches, us against the media, us against the fans. Excuse my diversion.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Rlighten,
I think it is interesting and proves my point that after 1 post someone could tell you graduated from BYU. Unless BYU shot 100% from the floor and the line, and committed no turnovers, Dixon did not hand the game to UNM. The timing of his mistake just happened at a point that it sticks out more so than if the same thing happened early in the first half. The Cougars on the floor lost the game. I am sure if you review the tape there probably are more than one call that depending on who is watching can be debated as to its validity. That is what fans do, that is the fun of being a fan. But in the end, if the tape is reviewed objectively, there will be several mistakes by BYU that if changed would change the outcome of the game. With that in mind, blaming an official for the loss is quite unfair, and the Michael Jackson comment is highly uncalled for.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 10:01pm
BBallinRick

Quote:
Originally posted by rlighten
lighten up...i think that was meant to be a joke
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 11:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

BBallinRick,
He hasn't built the credibility or the benefit of the doubt to make a comparison of a ref to Michael Jackson. Without that credibility built up, it sure looks like he's just trying to get a rise out of us. Problem is we see him for what he is.
BTW, regarding the game in question. Even the T didn't cost them the game since the free throws were missed. They still allowed the last second shot from the indbounds play.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I haven't heard Lonnie Dixon's version yet. Something to think about.
Amen, JR!

I've still got the game recorded. 'T is too bad what happened, though. I saw it live, too.

And to Mr. Rlighten, you did say: "On a side note, I do find this website (which I discovered today on my quest to find Lonnie Dixson) quite refreshing;" Welcome! This ought to feel refreshing--glad to hear it. You referred to "us against them attitude?" So do most other common-vocationers, I'm sure. Rather, though, you might be experiencing 'complete un-bias.' Might be something new? Thanks for sharing your opinion though. btw, i watch every byu game.