The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Did any of you see the BYU-New Mexico game ( yes we do get some ESPN here)?

If you did not see the game... close game BYU ties the score with like 3. something on the clock. New Mexico inbounds the ball and the dribbler has to run around a BYU player celebrating on the floor to try and get to the other end...

The officials made a great call and whacked the BYU player and sent NM to the line to shoot 2 with 2.9 on the clock. Gutsy call and the right one.

Moral of the story if it can happen it will... and Never Never let your guard down especillay in the last 30 seconds of the game!
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 07:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question I missed the highlight.

Hey Kevin, I hope you are well my friend.

Not sure I understand what happen? What was the T for exactly? I saw the aftermath of the T, but not what happen to get the T. Could you please give some more information.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 08:19pm
Huck Finn

The player came onto the court from the bench celebrating and got in the way of the players before the game was actually over. The kid got a temporary reprieve when they missed both shots from the T. They did go ahead and score after that.
Do you know how many times sportscenter is on when the weather is bad and you are home from work? Too many!
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
there was another thread on this: Titled something like. "Did he guess on the T in the NM game"
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Hey Kelvin! It's Brent Cooley from Salt Lake. When are you coming home? Hope you're doing well over there. I'm very appreciative of all you're doing over there, to help preserve the security of our great nation. Take care, see you soon!
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 12:34am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

If you did not see the game... close game BYU ties the score with like 3. something on the clock. New Mexico inbounds the ball and the dribbler has to run around a BYU player celebrating on the floor to try and get to the other end...

The officials made a great call and whacked the BYU player and sent NM to the line to shoot 2 with 2.9 on the clock. Gutsy call and the right one.

Moral of the story if it can happen it will... and Never Never let your guard down especillay in the last 30 seconds of the game!

Kelvin:

I just read the articles that were posted in a later thread concerning this game. Since you saw the play, can you enlighten us with more information about what you saw. Thanks.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

careful with the prasie

It turns out that this was not a great call. There was an inadvertant whistle andthe
BYU player thought there was a timeout. The official who blew the whislte did not acknowledge it and the T was allowed.

He was subsequently suspended for two games and not allowed to work in the league tournament.

Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

MTD,
Being in Wyoming and a Mountain West follower, it was pretty much as the articles described. The player from BYU thinking there was a TO came on to the floor celebrating he interfered with the New Mexico kid bringing the ball up the floor. Got called for a T and the rest is as we say history. It appears that Mr. Dixon just kind of blew this one...kind of surprising to me, he usually does a very good job. I would really like to hear his side of the story...

Kelvin:

I just read the articles that were posted in a later thread concerning this game. Since you saw the play, can you enlighten us with more information about what you saw. Thanks.

MTD, Sr.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

I saw the play but it sounds like from the evidence it was not a great call, but at the time not knowing there was a whistle it was.... Bigelow still should not assume a whistle means time out in that situation...
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 05:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

From what I've read (I haven't seen the play), the T is still warranted regardless of the inadvertent whistle. That kid has no idea, even if he hears the whistle, what the whistle is for. Could be a foul or violation. Until that TO gets reported, he's got no business running onto the court.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

common sense

With second to go and a tying basket made the normal assumption on a whistle is a timeout by the team gaining the ball.

The officials blew this one big time, not because they missed it, which we all do at times, but because one of them failed to acknowledge what he did, when it happened and let the players decide the game.

All it would have taken was a conference by the officials, one admitting what he had done and give the ball to New Mexico for the throw in with no technical.

This did not happen and the official recevied what he derserved.

Mistakes happen and as officials we need to step up and admit to them and not allow egos to get in the way of the game.

Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 05:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. Common sense should also tell the player to not run onto the court until he sees the ref at least point to a bench. I'll admit I don't know for sure if the T was warranted, because I didn't see it. I'll leave it at that.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
From what I've read (I haven't seen the play), the T is still warranted regardless of the inadvertent whistle. That kid has no idea, even if he hears the whistle, what the whistle is for. Could be a foul or violation. Until that TO gets reported, he's got no business running onto the court.
Agreed that "he's got no business running onto the court", but the NCAA rules make allowance for it in certain near- the-end-of-game celebrations.

I also didn't see it, but it's not an automatic T fro running on the court in this situation.

Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

If you follow BYU, you know that they take their timeouts in the "bench area" between the sideline and nearer lane line. At home they even have five stools they bring out for the players to sit on. So it's the ususal thing for them to be out on the floor during a time out. Yesterday (BYU v. UNLV) I watched Coach Cleveland walk out nearly to the free-throw lane line (and I was honestly wondering what the heck he was doing...and expecting to see a T), before the official finished up what he was doing and acknowledged the TO request. What's my point? At this level, there are obviously allowances made for the normal course of the game. That includes players and coaches coming out onto the floor in a time-out situation. For the official to unexpectedly penalize this normally accepted behavior to attempt to cover his own backside is absolutely reprehensible! Bigelow had every reason to celebrate, and every reason to be out on the floor. A TO was requested (right in front of him, it sounds like). An official blew his whistle to acknowledge the TO request. That's a dead ball, folks. That's a time-out. Were it not for the poor judgement of one official, the game would not have amounted to anything more serious than another agravating road loss for BYU.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

a loss maybe

From another post I read that New Mexico was out of time outs. If that was the case it would have been a "T." Two shots for BYU in a tie game andthe ball. I am not sure if they were out of time outs, but if that is the case then the outcome of the games was almost certainly compromised.
Closed Thread