The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 16, 1999, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SportsPlayByPlay
When I was reading other scenarios in other threads, it made me think of a good scenario which I really had never thought about, maybe you all could help me. Here it is:

A-1 in backcourt, while trying to break a full-court press, attempts a pass to A-2, who is in the frontcourt. Meanwhile, B-1, who is also in the frontcourt, deflects the pass. The ball then bounces back into the backcourt where A-3 picks it up and again tries to break the full-court press.

Officials call: The first 10-second count is nullified and a new one would begin as the ball returned to the backcourt.

Is this correct? Take into consideration the rule we have clarified in previous threads. Team A never lost team control of the ball. My feeling is that since Team A did have the ball in the frontcourt, even though it was momentary, then a new 10-second count should begin once the ball bounces back into the backcourt. Is this the right call? I think it is a good question that, to tell you the truth, I am second-guessing myself. What do you all think?

=============================
Zachary "Chunk" McCrite
Indiana High School Officials
Old Tue Nov 16, 1999, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

New 10-second count.

When B1 touched the ball in the frontcourt, the ball obtained frontcourt status. When it returned to the backcourt (by touching the floor in the backcourt or any player in the backcourt) a new 10-second count is started.

...and as a matter of semantics, the original 10-second count isn't "nullified" but it simply "ends" when the ball obtains front court status.

dk
Old Tue Nov 16, 1999, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. King is absolutely correct.