The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Just found this message board. I did my first three basketball games today. Took a course, took a test, studied, went to watch other officials work, and then did three games this afternoon.

All I can say is, "This is hard."

I know the rest of you already know this. I've been around sports forever as a player and media type, but this was my first time on the court in this capacity.

I was not good the first game. I wasn't good the second game, but I was better than I was in the first game. I wasn't good in the third game, either, but I was better than I was in the second game.

I'm doing three more games tomorrow (this is 5th and 6th grade girls, so I can't really hurt anybody).

I couldn't believe that what you'd think were the simplest things just aren't - I haven't even blown the whistle correctly yet.

Luckily, I was working with one very experienced official on the first game and a semi-experienced official in the second and third games.

Sorry to ramble, but my question is - does everyone feel this way after the first time you do this? It's hard and I'm a bit bummed I didn't do a better job. Do we all usually do badly the first time?

Thanks.

"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the board and the club.

What you attribute to doing a better job each game is probably just your level of comfort about being on the floor
and believe me that is a big part of improving. If you keep working hard, studying (the rules and other officials), ask questions and respond to advice you will continue get better
good luck.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
my question is - does everyone feel this way after the first time you do this? It's hard and I'm a bit bummed I didn't do a better job. Do we all usually do badly the first time?

Thanks.

Yes! Most of us felt just like you after our first game. It's funny how easy it is to be critical of the refs until you try it for yourself.

Don't feel bummed though. Even the most seasoned officials still have games or at least calls during games that we wish we could get a "do over".

Sounds to me like you have been doing the right things to get ready for your first time on the court. Continue to do these same things. You might even want to get someone to video you. It will be a great tool for you to evaluate yourself.

Welcome to the club.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you

Thank you.

I hope that what I'm feeling is recognizing that you can improve and wanting to do so. I guess if you feel you did great, you probably didn't.

It does bring another perspective to it, and I applaud and respect each and every one of you. I know today was just the first step, and tomorrow will be the second. I'm not looking any further than the next time I blow the whistle. Hopefully I will figure out how to actually DO that by tomorrow.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the Forum! It should be one of the frequently-referenced tools in your bag of officiating knowledge and experience!

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
I'm doing three more games tomorrow (this is 5th and 6th grade girls, so I can't really hurt anybody).
Just an observation about the above quoted statement:

The most important game you EVER officitated is the one that you are currently working. This is an attitude that you need to maintain for each and every game; regardless of the level or your officiating experience.

OK, I am off my soapbox now!

Yes, we all recall "The first time!" and we have all learned many "tricks of the trade" to help ourselves as we advance in our officiating endeavors.

Best wishes in your new avocation!

Willie
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you again. I realize that it's the most important thing (to them) that those kids will do all week, so I treat it as if it was Game 7 of the NBA Finals. I'm just out there trying my best.

I just meant that the folks at that level are a little more lenient than at higher levels, I reckon. And that I probably can't screw up badly enough to have things thrown at me.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the forum and to officiating.

Most of us remember our first game(s) and how good/bad we did, and this is normal. Some of us still screw up. I have been doing this 10 years and I had an absolutely crappy game tonight. Had girls JV/Varisty d/h and the JV game was a thriller. The varsity game sucked. They played worse than the JV and I really had a hard time concentrating on some of the action. No flow to the game and everything was helter-skelter. Both coaches were convinced we were favoring the other team. We talked about it at half-time (3-person) and we all thought we did not bring our "A" game tonight -- it's bad when all 3 feel that way. So, 99% of the time you feel pretty good about it and sometimes that other 1% makes you wonder what the heck is going on.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the club. Yep, my first games felt just like that. Time and experience will help. Keep working on the basics. You'll start to feel more comfortable out there when things become more habitual. Then you don't have to think about every little detail.

Oh, and you'll want to hang out here. It's a great place to learn from other officials.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the threads above

We all had starts like you. Hang in there.

I would suggest that you work on two things. First, see it and call it. Get to the point where you are comfortable seeing a volation or foul and immediately hitting your whistle. It will be automatic from then on. Second, keep studying the rules to get better. If you see a play and aren't sure you called it correctly, look it up when you get home. Then you'll know for sure the next time.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

As all have said welcome to the forum.

Sometimes I look back on my first “years” and it is a wonder I was not run out of town. It will take time to get into your groove don’t get disheartened.

Let me throw a few things your way and take them, as you will…

Every game you do will not your best but strive to make the next one your best.

You are not doing Duke Vs Kentucky but to the kids the game is just as important. Stay alert and don’t let self -doubt set in until after the game. When you are along then go over the game in your mind with the rule and casebooks at your side.

Though I do not do this enough and I know I should – One of the instructors for our association preaches that one should keep a dairy of every game we do. What we did right, wrong, and what we saw.

You will hear a 100 times to slow down, I like to call it one step at a time. Whistle, hand/fist up, sign or direction are three individual actions so make them so.

If it is a foul, before you make your move the reporting area take a breath and make sure you know the number of the offender and the shooter if it is to be a foul shot. Let your partner know what is going on so he or she can set up the shot or inbounds as you are reporting to the table.

Be it a rec game or a middle school game treat it like your associations BOD is sitting in the stands. Make sure you do the proper switching. If you don’t reinforce it now you will have trouble in the future (Take it from one who knows first hand.)

You don’t know everything and you never will. (As in my post on Saturday) Don’t be afraid to ask questions, either here or a more experienced ref. Take the answers, weigh them and find the best for you.

Coming from a rec league background I feel it is extremely important that you do such “low level” games. These include middle schools and elementary schools if they play in your area. This said for 2 reasons. One is that you will see more fouls per game at these levels than you can count. This is a very, very, very good way to learn advantage/disadvantage. The other is that you teach the kids what is allowed and not allowed.

Remember, it is called a Basketball “Game” so have fun.

Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
There are two attitudes that you must continue to maintain at the same time.

1. The morning of any game, you should wake up and think, "Yippee, I get to work today!" and

2. "I can see I need to work on some things."

As long as you keep thinking these things about 95% of the time, you'll keep improving and keep enjoying yourself. If you ever find that the dry times are lengthening, you might want to reconsider your part-time income opportunities.

Most of us here are completely addicted, and love to talk about the whole thing 24/7. Any questions you may have will always be willingly answered. And when the Dinosaur and Dan start getting smart-a**ed with you, you'll know you've arrived!
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Thank you all. I have no grand illusions about where this could lead, it's just another way to be involved with sports and to try something different. Right now I'm trying not to be afraid to screw up in today's games - trying to banish those thoughts. I am looking forward to doing the things right that I know I did wrong yesterday.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

So Overandback how did the games go today?
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Over&back - hang in there, it gets better, much better, if you want it. And remember - when you turn on your TV to watch the game today those 3 folks on the floor started *exactly* the way you did.

And pay no mind to that rainmaker woman, she's been a pain in the keester since way back when.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Update

Well, three more games late this afternoon.

I had a blast.

7th grade boys, 6th grade boys, and 8th grade girls, all in the same church league as yesterday.

I was fortunate enough to be partnered for all three games with a super nice experienced ref. He could not possibly have been cooler about my lack of experience - really helped me out with just a nod and a point and answering questions at every time out and quarter break.

After the second game (which was a barnburner) he told me I had an "excellent" game and said "nice job" when it was all over.

Fun, fun stuff.

Yesterday I felt like the seventh caller, some guy who won a radio contest and got to ref for a day. Today I actually felt like an official.

I punted a couple, and I still have to work on doing A, then B, then C, instead of right now when I find myself trying to do ABCD all at once.

But I felt 100% better today than yesterday. Thanks for all the encouragement. Can't wait to get out there again.