View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Just found this message board. I did my first three basketball games today. Took a course, took a test, studied, went to watch other officials work, and then did three games this afternoon.

All I can say is, "This is hard."

I know the rest of you already know this. I've been around sports forever as a player and media type, but this was my first time on the court in this capacity.

I was not good the first game. I wasn't good the second game, but I was better than I was in the first game. I wasn't good in the third game, either, but I was better than I was in the second game.

I'm doing three more games tomorrow (this is 5th and 6th grade girls, so I can't really hurt anybody).

I couldn't believe that what you'd think were the simplest things just aren't - I haven't even blown the whistle correctly yet.

Luckily, I was working with one very experienced official on the first game and a semi-experienced official in the second and third games.

Sorry to ramble, but my question is - does everyone feel this way after the first time you do this? It's hard and I'm a bit bummed I didn't do a better job. Do we all usually do badly the first time?

Thanks.

"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.