The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone else catch the blarge in the Duke / MD game?
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, missed it but haven't been following closely.

Go TERPS!
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
I did not see that one but I did notice something in the Florida/Miss St. game that I would like to bring up. A 3 Person crew I was on last week had the same thing happen and I still don't like it. Here you go:

Lead calls a foul on B1 against A1 who is going up for a shot under the basket (coming out of Trails primary) but Lead has the play in his/her primary. Lead goes up with fist however Trail comes in with Intentional Foul. I always pregame this with my partners by saying an intentional is just one of those reaction plays when you immediately know that is what it is. This play happened right in front of Lead and he did not call an intentional. I just think that if trail or C come in with what the coach perceives as a "secondary" (for lack of a better word)call, the whole crew suffers. Just curious to your thoughts and how you pregame this type of situation.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Need to know a bit more - if the play originated in T's primary, s/he's got the call all the way to the hoop, unless the player beats the defender, then L's got any secondary contact. Otherwise, it's T's call all the way.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by chayce
I did not see that one but I did notice something in the Florida/Miss St. game that I would like to bring up. A 3 Person crew I was on last week had the same thing happen and I still don't like it. Here you go:

Lead calls a foul on B1 against A1 who is going up for a shot under the basket (coming out of Trails primary) but Lead has the play in his/her primary. Lead goes up with fist however Trail comes in with Intentional Foul. I always pregame this with my partners by saying an intentional is just one of those reaction plays when you immediately know that is what it is. This play happened right in front of Lead and he did not call an intentional. I just think that if trail or C come in with what the coach perceives as a "secondary" (for lack of a better word)call, the whole crew suffers. Just curious to your thoughts and how you pregame this type of situation.
I didn't see either play (yours or the fla game) but aint it possible the T saw B1 grab a huge chunk of A1's shirt as he went by him? Or maybe B1 put both hands on A1's hips as he went up and PUSHED him, like in an intentional manner?

Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm guessing that trail had the opportunity to see the entire play develope. Maybe trail saw B1 "size up" A1 on the way to the hoop...The severity and intent of B1 may have been more easily seen from the wider angle as trail took the play all the way to the basket.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

In the Fla/MissSt game, A1 was in transition and in C's primary (FT line to FT line) while driving to the basket. Once A1 was below FT Line extended, he was on Lead's side of the basket away from C and L obviously had a good look at and did not go up with an Intentional.

In the game I had last week, A1 drove the baseline in front of Lead (I was opposite C) and T came in and gave an Intentional at the same time L went up with closed fist only. The coach had plenty to say to me about my parnter's call. I supported my partner with the coach by saying that it was a foul of excessive contact. He said, "Boys, we ain't playing Tiddly Winks!" I got a good laugh and ammo for my partner in our post game. My question remains: do you consider it acceptable for a partner to come in with an intentional when the calling official has already passed? How do you cover this in your pregame?
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
In the Fla/MissSt game, A1 was in transition and in C's primary (FT line to FT line) while driving to the basket. Once A1 was below FT Line extended, he was on Lead's side of the basket away from C and L obviously had a good look at and did not go up with an Intentional.

In the game I had last week, A1 drove the baseline in front of Lead (I was opposite C) and T came in and gave an Intentional at the same time L went up with closed fist only. The coach had plenty to say to me about my parnter's call. I supported my partner with the coach by saying that it was a foul of excessive contact. He said, "Boys, we ain't playing Tiddly Winks!" I got a good laugh and ammo for my partner in our post game. My question remains: do you consider it acceptable for a partner to come in with an intentional when the calling official has already passed? How do you cover this in your pregame?
Why is it your descriptions of both plays do not say at all what the contact might have been. Who CARES out of whos area into whos primary the play develops? Was the intentional call right or not?

Trust your partner means trust your partner.

(And FWIW, and with all due respect, if you would have used your "ammo" on me in our locker room I would have given you the standard issue 2 word reply )
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

One other question: If you as L have passed on the intentional and one of your partners does go up with it, would you as L then go up as a show of solidarity for the coaches?
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Nope, missed it but haven't been following closely.

Go TERPS!
Now that is 2 "lesser" teams you are backing -- NC & MD. Go Blue Devils! Hmmm...guess they heard me.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

I saw the blarge. They ended up going with the charge, which according to the TV angle was the right call. Would like to know how they explained that to Mr. Williams on the sideline...especially since a blarge should go to the AP!

Anyway they got out of it pretty well and moved on. Great game and tough one to call. I thought they did a good job overall... but the supervisor will probably have something to say about the blarge
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I watched the game and I thought sure they went with the AP which favored Duke. The next AP went to MD.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

You might be right. Just at the time this was happening my 3 year daughter came and insisted that I play Barbie's with her . So I was trying to multi-task and watch the game and play with her so I may have missed it. Can anyone confirm that they went with the AP ruling?
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Yes they did go with AP.
Once the Genie is out of the bottle...
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Why is it your descriptions of both plays do not say at all what the contact might have been. Who CARES out of whos area into whos primary the play develops? Was the intentional call right or not?

Trust your partner means trust your partner.

(And FWIW, and with all due respect, if you would have used your "ammo" on me in our locker room I would have given you the standard issue 2 word reply )

Dan,

One of the challenges of e-mail is that it is hard to express things "tongue in cheek". My "ammo" comment was made in jest as my partner who called the intentional is a very good friend as well as official and it was something to talk about after the game in a spirit of good natured ribbing. I am sorry that did not come across that way. I obviously supported my partner with the disgruntled coach.

My main point is that the calling official did not go with the intentional and that truly is a matter of trust don't you think? The second offical, farther from the play in both cases, came in with a call that was different. I believe he should have trusted his partner in both cases...and no, I would not have called it in either case. If the situation was reversed and Lead did call it, how would you react if T or C came in and said, "No it wasn't an intentional and we are going to wave it off."? Has anyone ever put an intentional back in their pocket?!?