The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by chayce
Why is it your descriptions of both plays do not say at all what the contact might have been. Who CARES out of whos area into whos primary the play develops? Was the intentional call right or not?

Trust your partner means trust your partner.

(And FWIW, and with all due respect, if you would have used your "ammo" on me in our locker room I would have given you the standard issue 2 word reply )

Dan,

One of the challenges of e-mail is that it is hard to express things "tongue in cheek". My "ammo" comment was made in jest as my partner who called the intentional is a very good friend as well as official and it was something to talk about after the game in a spirit of good natured ribbing. I am sorry that did not come across that way. I obviously supported my partner with the disgruntled coach.

I figured that.

Quote:

My main point is that the calling official did not go with the intentional and that truly is a matter of trust don't you think? The second offical, farther from the play in both cases, came in with a call that was different. I believe he should have trusted his partner in both cases...and no, I would not have called it in either case. If the situation was reversed and Lead did call it, how would you react if T or C came in and said, "No it wasn't an intentional and we are going to wave it off."? Has anyone ever put an intentional back in their pocket?!?
Again, the T sees things that the L does not & vice versa. Unless there's a good argument that the ball was dead before the foul (prior foul or some violation) I don't see how any foul can be waved off.

Bottom line: if the call was correct the call was correct. I think we should thank our partner for reaching into our area to grab a *good* call and not be so worried about who's calling what where.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

So is a Blarge like a Chock? Actually a couple of games ago did a game and my partner actually started to put his hand behind his head and almost had the PC signal finished when for what ever reason he went to the block signal. Had me confused and the one coach was hollerin.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveF
So is a Blarge like a Chock? Actually a couple of games ago did a game and my partner actually started to put his hand behind his head and almost had the PC signal finished when for what ever reason he went to the block signal. Had me confused and the one coach was hollerin.
Half a dozen of one
Six of the other . . . .

Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Need to know a bit more - if the play originated in T's primary, s/he's got the call all the way to the hoop, unless the player beats the defender, then L's got any secondary contact. Otherwise, it's T's call all the way.
According to last weeks Memo, NCAA Women's, When the play originates from the T, and goes to the L's Primary, then it is now the L's call, no matter the defender.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Question This happen in a Men's game.

Bart,

What about the Men's side. This did not happen in a Women's game. Who cares what the women do here. The men's side and the NF are more in line with each other, right?
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Re: This happen in a Men's game.

Quote:
Originally posted by PS2Man
Bart,

What about the Men's side. This did not happen in a Women's game. Who cares what the women do here. The men's side and the NF are more in line with each other, right?
Don't know about the men's side. I don't think the NF has even addressed this play. Sooo, go over it in pregame. I think its 6 or 1, half dozen of another.

Be careful what you say about what the Women do. The women's side is setting a lot of standards, both for the Men's and NF. In fact the NF mechanics have adopted some of the women's mechanics. Of course these all come from the NBA. Now the NCAA Men's side is a little slower to come around, but that is only because the Women thought of it first.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 02:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Not so fast.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson

Be careful what you say about what the Women do. The women's side is setting a lot of standards, both for the Men's and NF. In fact the NF mechanics have adopted some of the women's mechanics. Of course these all come from the NBA. Now the NCAA Men's side is a little slower to come around, but that is only because the Women thought of it first.
Bart,

That is not true. The NF long switches, birddogging is optional, converage area and rotation is about the same. Anytime I work with a guy that does women's college, we always have to decide if we are going to use NF or Women's logic behind the last second shot. The NF has kept this the opposite table, just like the Men's side. I could go on and on. All the Men did was go table side on fouls. That is about it. Even their Team Foul signals are completely different.

The NF did more to be like the Men's side this year alone than the Men did to be like the Women's side. The Men changed one thing. I would not call that a coming along with much of anything.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

I think the biggest change is NF is now flexing off the ball. The L go strong side, once the ball is accross half court and pass the lane line extended. They can also bounce the ball in the back court base line and on the side lines. I use to think NF says we don't switch in the back court, but I'm not sure.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 03:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
I think the biggest change is NF is now flexing off the ball. The L go strong side, once the ball is accross half court and pass the lane line extended. They can also bounce the ball in the back court base line and on the side lines. I use to think NF says we don't switch in the back court, but I'm not sure.
Everything you just stated has nothing to do with the women's game exclusively. Many of the mechanics are similar. But it is not like the Women's game invented them or changes have come directly from them. Actually the Women's Mechanics are more influenced by the WNBA. Yes the WNBA is influenced by the NBA, but it has been obvious that the NCAA (Men)is not trying to follow the NBA way of doing things. That is very clear.

Heck, the NCAA Women's officials work the college season, then turn around and work the WNBA season. Of course they want some similarities. They want to make it easy on themselves. But the NCAA does not have the influence nor do officials work both NCAA and NBA games. That cannot happen.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Everything you just stated has nothing to do with the women's game exclusively. Many of the mechanics are similar. But it is not like the Women's game invented them or changes have come directly from them. Actually the Women's Mechanics are more influenced by the WNBA. Yes the WNBA is influenced by the NBA, but it has been obvious that the NCAA (Men)is not trying to follow the NBA way of doing things. That is very clear.

Heck, the NCAA Women's officials work the college season, then turn around and work the WNBA season. Of course they want some similarities. They want to make it easy on themselves. But the NCAA does not have the influence nor do officials work both NCAA and NBA games. That cannot happen.

Peace
Does the Men's side have a mechanics book? If so, does it say when to flex? If so, does it say to flex as stated in the NF and CCA manual for Women's?
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But the NCAA does not have the influence nor do officials work both NCAA and NBA games. That cannot happen.

Peace [/B]
I don't understand the first half of this statement. I thought the NBA and WNBA mechanics were the same. But, it sounds like you are saying they are nothing alike. Sooo, I guess i stand corrected. I take it back about NCAA mechanics coming from the NBA.
There, you happy!
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 04:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Does the Men's side have a mechanics book? If so, does it say when to flex? If so, does it say to flex as stated in the NF and CCA manual for Women's?
Of course the Men have their own CCA Mechanics book. And yes, the philosophy and mechanics is very different as to when to rotate and when not to rotate. It is in line with the NF and that philosophy. For one the Women's philosophy was to rotate when the ball crosses the middle of the court when the ball is in the half court set. The Men is pretty much the same as the NF and puts more of an issue of the ball being below the FT line extended. And if you have both of the books, you will see the many differences between the two. Many more than we can state here.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 04:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink

Quote:

I don't understand the first half of this statement. I thought the NBA and WNBA mechanics were the same. But, it sounds like you are saying they are nothing alike. Sooo, I guess i stand corrected. I take it back about NCAA mechanics coming from the NBA.
There, you happy!
It is not about being happy, you made an incorrect statement. The NBA and the WNBA are the same. But the Women have adopted WNBA philosophies and mechanics and are not trying to hide that fact. The NCAA Men's are in no way trying to do that. NCAA Women and NCAA officials tend to be the same on many levels. Which is one of the reasons I would think they have little to no resistance with the WNBA to NCAA Women's changes.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For one the Women's philosophy was to rotate when the ball crosses the middle of the court when the ball is in the half court set. The Men is pretty much the same as the NF and puts more of an issue of the ball being below the FT line extended. And if you have both of the books, you will see the many differences between the two. Many more than we can state here.

Peace [/B]
My mechanics manual does not say "ball being below the FT line extended". In fact it says the same as Women's CCA. Strong side when ball crosses half court. I can't remember but it might say all three officials have to be in front court. Sooo I think you might be mistaken.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 05:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveF
Half a dozen of one
Six of the other . . . .

Six of one, three factorial of the other.