The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

A friend had this happen last night:
The ball was put in bounds with .01 of a second on the clock left in the first half. Of course, only a tap could count as a basket. However, the officials did not realize the amount of time on the clock, and counted a made three-pointer because it was shot before the horn sounded. I know that there were some mistakes here that could've been avoided, but here's the question: At the end of the halftime break, the opposing coach protested that the shot should not have counted. After talking to the time keeper, the officials realized the mistake. Could it have been corrected before the second half started? I would think so because the ball had not been put back live, but cannot find anything specific in the NFHS rulebook. Thanks for the forum... Call 'em like you see 'em!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Correctable error includes erroneously counting a score that should not have counted. Not sure if this situation qualifies under those terms, but if it does, all other conditions for correctable error have been met because the ball has not yet become live again.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

That's what I think, too. Official jurisdiction doesn't end at halftime, as halftime is simply time between quarters. If this would've happened between the first & second quarter, instead of the second and third, it seems that it would have been easier to fix.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, it seems to me that it would be easy to fix in either case if you could get all involved to agree as to the situation. What you lose at halftime is that immediate knowledge of what just transpired. But the gap in time does not change the correctable error rule.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

FED 2.10.1E Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertantly set aside and results in: Erroneously counting or cancelling a score.

2.10.2 In order to correct any errors such error must be recognized by an official during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.

Using these two rules. The error seems indeed clearly correctable. The halftime is simply an "extended" dead ball period.

If the question of officials jurisdiction is raised when they leave the court, 2-2 relates nothing about leaving the court during halftime. In fact 2.2.3 relays that "the officials jurisdiction extends through periods that are stopped for any reason."
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Where do you officiate that the clock has hundreths of a second on it?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

QUOTE: "Where do you officiate that the clock has hundreths of a second on it?"
oops! That would really make you dig in the rulebook, huh?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Seems to be a common error

Many times I've seen on this board someone write 0.1 seconds as .01

Big difference... downhill ski racing clocks show one-hundredths of a second; basketball game clocks do not.

Saw a couple of our bigtime, star, veteran officials though, the other night call the game by saying "game's over" when there was 0.2 seconds left. They just threw the ball back to the table and left the court.

That was only about their fifth gigantic error for the evening.

My favorite was after a player made a great (and legal) jump stop move and was going up for the shot, the Lead official tweets his whistle and jumps onto the floor with a travel-hold call. After searching the defenders for the guilty party he gave the offense the ball out-of-bounds underneath the basket...!!! No shots.

Travel-hold. Remarkable. After a raised open hand he made one rotation of his hands for the travel and then grabbed his arm for a hold and then bird-dogged... and then took away the shot.

And why am I watching rather than working?
My calls must be worse... or someone said something about Boy's Club???
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

I feel your pain DownTown!!!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Seems to be a common error

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Many times I've seen on this board someone write 0.1 seconds as .01

Big difference... downhill ski racing clocks show one-hundredths of a second; basketball game clocks do not.

Some do.