The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Okay had a varsity game Saturday afternoon. End of second quarter A1 goes for last second shot. B1 fouls airborne shooter as time expires and horn sounds. A1 gets his two shots with the lane cleared. Here is where it gets sticky. Ball is given to A1 for the first of two free throws. While A1 has the ball team B gets up and proceeds to leave the gym. In doing so they are cutting across the corner of the court on which A1 is attempting his shot. The hallway which their locker room is in is just to the left of the lane. Is there anything that could have been called and what rules would back that up.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 08:20am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

9-1-8
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
9-1-8

Rule book is not readily available right now what does 9-1-8 say or refer to?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Let it go. Don't look for trouble. Assuming they are just walking off the court.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Let it go. Don't look for trouble. Assuming they are just walking off the court.
But the problem comes in that they could actually be doing it in an attempt to disconcert the free thrower. We did let it go and the free throw was missed. Just looking for input as to what could have been done.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveF
While A1 has the ball team B gets up and proceeds to leave the gym. In doing so they are cutting across the corner of the court on which A1 is attempting his shot. The hallway which their locker room is in is just to the left of the lane. Is there anything that could have been called and what rules would back that up.
Sure. Every team member that is on the corner of the court is violating the FT provisions about where players may be positioned. Additionally, every team member that is on the playing court has entered the court illegally. Additionally, every team member (and every asst. coach) that is standing is violating the bench decorum provisions.

So depending on your mood, you've got disconcertion or other FT violations, or any number of technical fouls you can assess.

Ok, I'm being a little silly. But only a little. The period isn't over, the ball is live. Team B is not allowed to leave their bench or to be on the floor. I would call a FT violation, get everybody back to the bench and re-administer. (I don't even care if they're standing while we re-administer, just get them out of the way.)
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 11:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
9-1-8

Rule book is not readily available right now what does 9-1-8 say or refer to?
9-1 -"A player shall not violate the following provisions governing free throws:

Art. 8 ...A player, other than the free throw shooter, who does not occupy a marked lane space, may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the free-throw line extended and the three-point line which is further from the basket."
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

If it appeared to be a distraction to the shooter because of proximity to the lane, get the ball back before the shot, get B to clear the area, then shoot the FT. Otherwise, simply ignore it.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 01:24pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
While A1 has the ball team B gets up and proceeds to leave the gym. In doing so they are cutting across the corner of the court on which A1 is attempting his shot. The hallway which their locker room is in is just to the left of the lane. Is there anything that could have been called and what rules would back that up.
Sure. Every team member that is on the corner of the court is violating the FT provisions about where players may be positioned. Additionally, every team member that is on the playing court has entered the court illegally. Additionally, every team member (and every asst. coach) that is standing is violating the bench decorum provisions.

So depending on your mood, you've got disconcertion or other FT violations, or any number of technical fouls you can assess.

Ok, I'm being a little silly. But only a little. The period isn't over, the ball is live. Team B is not allowed to leave their bench or to be on the floor. I would call a FT violation, get everybody back to the bench and re-administer. (I don't even care if they're standing while we re-administer, just get them out of the way.)

I am with you Chuck. I think that you covered the situation very well.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

I am with you Chuck. I think that you covered the situation very well.

MTD, Sr.
oh, my gosh, is Jesus coming back tomorrow!??!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 06:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

oh, my gosh, is Jesus coming back tomorrow!??!
Maybe He is already here? You know that "thief in the night" thing.

Peace