Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 03:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Fair is fair!

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
Yes I have used the words "Coach, We don't need a play by play of our officiating" in reponse to a coach and it has worked for some of these occasions.
DJ,

You cannot say that. That is being confrontational. You know we cannot address coaches in any way that gives the impression it is about us. We have just tolerate their complaints, no matter how asinine they are. At least let the coach tell it, that is what we are suppose to do.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Woooooah.

Nobody called you a bad ref, I never even said you were wrong. Don't know why your feelings are so hurt. In fact, I stated that I believed you were a good referee with lots of experience.

You are right, you should do what works for you. I'll do what works best for me.

Peace (sincerely)
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 03:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question What post did you read?

Quote:
Originally posted by bsktball_ref
Woooooah.

Nobody called you a bad ref, I never even said you were wrong. Don't know why your feelings are so hurt. In fact, I stated that I believed you were a good referee with lots of experience.
Dude, did you read the post. Who said anything about what you called me or my feelings being hurt? I just do not agree with your assessment of the situation, regardless of how much you want me to consider you words. And you can say it 1000 times, it is not going to change my feelings on it. Just because you say it here, does not make it right or acceptable by everyone.

One of my first mentors used to say, "if they roll the dice, they just might crap out!" If they try to make that comment, they might get T'd, they might get ignored. But that is the chance THEY take. Just like JR said, they might run into guys like you and it will be ignored. Then they next night they might run into someone that will not warn but T them. Then they might run into a guy like me that will address this comment if and when I can and they will at least know where "I" stand and what is acceptable to me. [/B][/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally posted by bsktball_ref
You are right, you should do what works for you. I'll do what works best for me.
Do not worry, was going to do that anyway. Despite how much you wanted me to consider your position. I considered it, I just do not agree with it.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Re: What post did you read?

Quote:

One of my first mentors used to say, "if they roll the dice, they just might crap out!" If they try to make that comment, they might get T'd, they might get ignored. But that is the chance THEY take. Just like JR said, they might run into guys like you and it will be ignored. Then they next night they might run into someone that will not warn but T them. Then they might run into a guy like me that will address this comment if and when I can and they will at least know where "I" stand and what is acceptable to me. [/B]
Now this I agree. Anytime a coach or player says or does something to the officials about the way the game is being called, then THEY are opening themselves for consequences. And right or wrong I will back my partner.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I think you do not understand the peeking order here. Officials have the authority over the game, whether you like it or not.
I do understand the pecking order, and have no qualms with it.

Quote:
But to say that my commenting to a coach who is talking to me, as being confrontational, not sure what world that is from.
Never said that you commenting to a coach is contfrontational. I said that inserting unstated accusations into a conversation changes the nature of that conversation.

Quote:
Do not make it sound like a coach saying "the fouls are 7-2" are not directed at a specific official.
I will make it sound that way because I believe this to be the case. You are taking personal offense at something that I do not believe is personal. If you are primarily working three-man, you can't be the only official calling (or not calling) fouls. The comment is directed toward a game situation that makes the coach mad, he thinks your crew is doing a bad job, he lets you know it, and you are clearly personalizing it.

Would you take offense when he complains about your partner's charging call to you because you are closest? If your partner calls a travel and he complain to you, is he suggesting that you are cheating because you did nothing about that call? He's just complaining, that's it.

Quote:
Would you rather me just T the coach without saying anything? . . .

But I guess we cannot comment, you think it is confrontational?
No - read my posts above and you will see I sugggest that you shut him up if his comments bother you.

Obviously you will do what you want, and you take these comments to be personal affronst to which you must respond. I don't hope to change your mind, but hopefully my responses allow others to consider how they deal with confrontation in their games and in their lives.

I learned as a Navy leader not to personalize anything in a confrontational situation - keep things professional. When an individual atttempts to personalize, you acknowledge their comments and you then steer the conversation back to a professional level. I have found this to serve me well in all walks of life. Keeps me happy and keeps me moving onward and upward.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Where is the going?

When I really start to think about the original post and think of a foul ratio of 7-2 and a coach complains about it I guess I don't think of that as being an outrageous number. He/she might get me thinking about the calls but equally might get me thinking about his motives. It is early in the game and I want to stay on top of any conflict for a later stage of the game so if there are many more comments of this or of another nature I may have to address it as I see fit. Again a single comment is nothing to get too excited and could be ignored but......
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 05:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Personal?

What does any of this have to do with taking it personal? Really, the comments that are made have nothing to do with who takes is personal or not. The comments are inappropriate in my opinion. They are out of line. If a coach makes a comment about my partner, that is not acceptable. I am not going to let a coach "call out my partner" and just let that go. We are a team, I would want them to do the same for me, I know many officials that would do the same in return. It is no different when a player starts complaining. It will be addressed so I do not have to do it with the game on the line in the 4th quarter or late in the Second half. My efforts is to make the game go smoothly, not have any Ts or ejections because the coach started down a road I could have easily stopped.

Coach, you want to make this into a personal issue. This is within my professional bounds. I have ever right as an official to address issues that are deamed "unsportsmanlike." Now that is where judgment comes in, but it is my right to handle it. I just choose to address it by talking directly to the coach, instead of just pulling the trigger and ejecting the coach. Look at it how you choose to, but but they better know who they are dealing with. Because an ejection might just happen.

Peace