The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 09:45pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Had that experience...everyone was quiet as a mouse. There were a few uncertain looks from a couple of players and coaches, but they didn't say a word.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

When having to work by myself I just
tell them to look at the brite side,
there will only be 1/2 as many bad calls
this game.
Carl
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Zebraman, I have a little problem with bouncing the ball from the free throw line extended if it's one man. What do you do if a kid gets in the way of the ball as you're bouncing it to the thrower? What I've done is go down to the end line, and stand on the corner and bounce it all the way from there then slide back up to the free throw line extended as I'm doing the throw-in count. Sounds awkward, but prevents any problems with the bounce and gives you a "moving" view of the throw-in situation.
I've never had a problem with a player getting in the way when bouncing the ball to a player. If I did, I'd just blow my whistle and have a "do-over." Your way sounds reasonable too.

Z
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

I hustle top-of-key to top-of-key, then try to drift down a little lower (FT Line-ish). I try to cross-over to always be on the right or left side. The cross over part seemed to let me see the same thing for both teams, but is not easy and you can get caught in the middle of things.

As for the baseline inbound play, I would get right in the middle of the players, announce that the ball was live on my whistle, give the ball to the in-bounder, take my position, then whistle the ball live.

If this happens in rec-ball, you will have to tell a lot of players you are not interested in their opinion.

Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 12:47am
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Zebraman, glad we could agree somewhat. SamIAm, like your idea too. Might give those ideas you two offered a shot next time I get into a one man situation. I just hope it doesn't happen on a Saturday when I've got 3 or more games to work (kids' parochial athletic league).
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Against the WIAA (WI Association)

At the HS level, grades 9-12, our state assoc. has specific rules prohibiting a game without two officials. As much as I would want to do the game, I would tell the school (AD/game management) that I cannot work the game, as per the WIAA. I am not willing to open myself to a lawsuit.

Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Thanks All!
Some great notes.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I too have done grade school (7-8) alone and did it by running to the L all the time. One great reason to keep in good shap! If you cant give the teams a good job by doing this then don't do the game. Ask to play at a later date! Now for the older kids, no way, I havent seen anyone in that good of shap.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Had the "opportunity" to work consecutive games. A boys 9th and a boys 8th. I normally work Girls games.

I was lucky to receive some advice about positioning a couple of days before my partner stood me up. Yep - you have to call your partner.

The advice was to work as a trail on the coaches side so that you can see what they see (for the most part). Where I got into trouble early in the first game is when I went too low and got blocked out on a major collision. Quickly learned my lesson and stayed high and sorta worked the arch but stayed out of harms way.

The games actually went very well. And, in our association, I get paid for four games.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Take advantage of this opportunity to work "one man".

A Veteran once told me:

He showed up to do a Frosh game. That particular night there was also a J.V. game scheduled in the schools other gym. 3 officials 2 games. Well, this official was low man on the totem pole, so he got the Frosh game, all by himself, while the other two guys did the J.V. game.

The Athletic director told the official that he had done a better job doing "one man" than any two other officials all year. The next year the AD put the official on his Varsity list.

Look at these situations as oportunities...he did.

RD
I agree 100%. You know you're really a ref, inside and out, when you actually kinda feel good that your partner didn't show, and you step up and get the job done alone. The end of my third season, I applied to get my varsity certification a year early and was turned down. I totally understood why, but it was kinda disappointing. I worked a whole bunch of spring ball and in late May, I ended up working two 4A JV boys games alone. They were three of the four top contenders in this spring league and the games were fast, tough, and emotional. But I managed. Did better than manage. One of the coaches, who goes to state year after year after year, told my commissioner at camp the next week that I'd done a great job, and he was really glad I'd been there. Within two days, I got my varsity certification. So you just never know. You never know if it's opportunity knocking, if you don't open the door.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Who are you?

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
I hustle top-of-key to top-of-key, then try to drift down a little lower (FT Line-ish). I try to cross-over to always be on the right or left side. The cross over part seemed to let me see the same thing for both teams, but is not easy and you can get caught in the middle of things.

As for the baseline inbound play, I would get right in the middle of the players, announce that the ball was live on my whistle, give the ball to the in-bounder, take my position, then whistle the ball live.

If this happens in rec-ball, you will have to tell a lot of players you are not interested in their opinion.

Are you Sam888?
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

No, just SamIAm. (Sam is not my real name, an uncle gave me that nickname when I was a young child. I thought my name was Sam until kindergarten.)