The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

No, this isn't about the flu.

I've never really officiated basketball before this past week. I'm not going to count the two games I did about 8 years ago they were in a 2nd and 3rd grade league, I was a traffic cop.

It all started the other night when I worked a rec league scrimmage as a favor to a friend, he expected me to have a tough time with it, apparently I didn't because he and the other coach who didn't know it was my first game said I was excellent. I have 12 years experience as a baseball/softball umpire so I know when I had a bad game and I felt good about the experience. My friend's also a basketball ref so I trust him more than just a coach.

Mid way through the game he looked at me and said he saw a transformation in me from someone having nothing but fun and fumbling through the game to someone who was serious and determined. He was right, it was a thrill and I got hooked.

Since then I've called a 4th and 5th grade game with him and felt more comfortable, I'm reading rulebooks and mechanics books and anything I can find.

This weekend I'm slated to do at least 5 games of various ages. Mostly 5 and 6 graders but probably one middle school league.

I just got off the phone with the assignor for the 5-6 grade league and he assigned me 4 games a week. Looks like I'm doing 25+ games this year and I can hardly wait.

I'm sure I'll have questions here. I know most focus on school ball but I hope you'll indulge my rec league questions. The leagues are based on NF/NCAA rules though.

Alex
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the board...you're in for the ride of your life.

Both here and in your newfound advocation.
Good Luck!

RD
P.S.
Blow the whistle hard
Dress in the appropriate uniform
Don't bend over while looking for a violation, etc.
Use crisp mechanics
Study the rules
WATCH VETERAN OFFICIALS AT A LOCAL H.S. GAME
Have a blast!
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

One thing that really helps in rec ball especially, is to determine the "ground rules" before the game starts. If you are lucky there will be a document present with the League Rules printed on it. It usually states the length of each quarter or half, and if it's running time or stop time, how many time outs per game. Also, younger kids may have restrictions such as "no defense in the back court" or "no pressing until the last two minutes of the game" for example. Or, these limits may be determined by the score (if a team is 15 points ahead, no press). Also, if there is a 10 second back court count, how many on lanes for foul shots, or any other point that may differ from NFHS.

If there is no copy of the rules available, then determine what they are with the two coaches together so you will all be on the same page. Don't be surprised if you get two different opinions about anything from the two coaches, even if they have coached in this same league for a while.
Finding out these points will help make your game run smoother as you won't be delaying to "discuss" what they "usually do" in this league.

Good luck and have fun! Consider getting certified for high school.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Welcome.....one day we hope to have a cure for this disease called officiating. Until that day I hope you have a great experience like the rest of us nuts!!!

(Sorry if I offend others with the nuts comment, but come on admit it to yourself. You have to be mildly crazy to do this.)
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SHellmueller Send a message via AIM to SHellmueller
One thing to add on ground rules...It might be a good idea to quickly cover the major Fed rules that differ from NCAA, especially the first game of the league. The two I usually deal with are the PC foul difference, and the free throw rules (can't use blocks, play the rim).

As you rec league refs know, many players know only what they see on TV, which is NCAA and worse, NBA.

Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Got the bug three years and it hasn't left me. Welcome to the dark side.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

welcome to the board newref.....b-ball officiating is a great avocation....good luck with the rest of your season!
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome aboard. I think I've finally overcome the bug...by letting it turn into a full-blown obsession! Work hard, hang out here, study, and have fun. BTW, I had four 5-6th grade games a couple of nights ago. What a blast!
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
It's not a bug, it's a Jones. When the games run out in about July, you'll be needing to find a Whistles Anonymous meeting. We'll be there for ya, because we're all addicted, too!
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
It's not a bug, it's a Jones. When the games run out in about July, you'll be needing to find a Whistles Anonymous meeting. We'll be there for ya, because we're all addicted, too!
That's why I had to start umpiring baseball last summer for a fix. Not as much fun as basketball however. I am also planning to go a camp next summer.