Thread: Got the bug...
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

No, this isn't about the flu.

I've never really officiated basketball before this past week. I'm not going to count the two games I did about 8 years ago they were in a 2nd and 3rd grade league, I was a traffic cop.

It all started the other night when I worked a rec league scrimmage as a favor to a friend, he expected me to have a tough time with it, apparently I didn't because he and the other coach who didn't know it was my first game said I was excellent. I have 12 years experience as a baseball/softball umpire so I know when I had a bad game and I felt good about the experience. My friend's also a basketball ref so I trust him more than just a coach.

Mid way through the game he looked at me and said he saw a transformation in me from someone having nothing but fun and fumbling through the game to someone who was serious and determined. He was right, it was a thrill and I got hooked.

Since then I've called a 4th and 5th grade game with him and felt more comfortable, I'm reading rulebooks and mechanics books and anything I can find.

This weekend I'm slated to do at least 5 games of various ages. Mostly 5 and 6 graders but probably one middle school league.

I just got off the phone with the assignor for the 5-6 grade league and he assigned me 4 games a week. Looks like I'm doing 25+ games this year and I can hardly wait.

I'm sure I'll have questions here. I know most focus on school ball but I hope you'll indulge my rec league questions. The leagues are based on NF/NCAA rules though.

Alex