The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

What happened to the search function? I want to find the post where Rut explains what "chrunk" means but I can't.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The search function was turned off, partly due to increased traffic on the forums.

But I don't remember Jeff ever explaining the word.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 12:31pm
In Memoriam

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
[B]chrunk
To get drunk and high.

"I'm goin' to chrunk you up."

...But Rut says "chruck"
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

If you wanna do a search

go to http://www.google.com

click on advanced search

theres a box where you can put in a site to limit your search to. Put http://www.officialforum.com

Then put your term in the search box.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 01:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking I have to save this discussion.

Chrunk means, get excited, get hype or have some fun. It can be used a little different, but that is the general idea.

It is a largely a southern slang term, used in the hip hop community or people familiar with urban culture to describe a feeling like "Woodee." I have a cousin that lives in Atlanta and travels to Chicago on business a few times a year and he used that term quite often at times or at least did. And I have family that live in Miami and they used it as well.

I knew someone was going to ask this question.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I have to save this discussion.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Chrunk means, get excited, get hype or have some fun. It can be used a little different, but that is the general idea.

It is a largely a southern slang term, used in the hip hop community or people familiar with urban culture to describe a feeling like "Woodee." I have a cousin that lives in Atlanta and travels to Chicago on business a few times a year and he used that term quite often at times or at least did. And I have family that live in Miami and they used it as well.

I knew someone was going to ask this question.

Peace
So is it Chrunk or Chruck, Rut? You define Chrunk but in your tag line you say, "Let us get 'Chruck'".
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 02:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: I have to save this discussion.

Quote:
Originally posted by davidw

So is it Chrunk or Chruck, Rut? You define Chrunk but in your tag line you say, "Let us get 'Chruck'".
Does it matter, it is slang. It is not a "real" word.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: I have to save this discussion.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Does it matter, it is slang. It is not a "real" word.

Peace
I just did'nt want to go around repeating a cool new word and instead reveal my ignorance an uncoolness!
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 02:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I should change it.

Quote:

I just did'nt want to go around repeating a cool new word and instead reveal my ignorance an uncoolness!
Now that I think of it, there is a "n" sound at the end. But of course I have speaking from folklore and verbal communication only. Never read this word.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Having grown up in that great southern state (known as the Magnolia state) located between Alabama and Louisiana, I have never heard this term. Granted, I haven't lived there since 1970, but I did visit family there last July. And I also stayed in a Holiday Inn Express (true).
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Having grown up in that great southern state (known as the Magnolia state) located between Alabama and Louisiana, I have never heard this term. Granted, I haven't lived there since 1970, but I did visit family there last July. And I also stayed in a Holiday Inn Express (true).
And I, having mostly grown up mostly in the great state of Tennessee...(Memphis most recently) have never heard of this either. And I lived there in the 90's.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
And I, having mostly grown up mostly in the great state of Tennessee...(Memphis most recently) have never heard of this either. And I lived there in the 90's.
But you both do realise, don't you, that slang words can spring up full-grown within a few months. The ninety's were after all four years ago. If Rut heard it from a cousin recently, it's very possible you two just plain missed it. It's also possible that it's a very local word and used in only a few places.

And I suppose it's at least possible that Rut is just yankin' our chain a little!
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 08:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

And I suppose it's at least possible that Rut is just yankin' our chain a little!
Actually Juulie, this is a rather common word. It is in several rap songs from southern artists. Mary J. Blige has a song with the word in the chorus. The word was used in the preview of the playoff games this weekend on SportsCenter, when one of the players on the Indianiapolis Colts on the Kickoff team talked about their little "shimmy/shake" rountine they do before they kick the ball off. The player said, "we just want to it chrunk." And they tried to spell it (is why I used it here) and asked him, "what does that mean?" So they spent the next 30 seconds talking about what that meant in the piece and it was kind of funny. The guy covering the story was white and it was kind of funny to hear his reaction to the word. And even Andy Van Pelt from ESPN I believe made a funny comment. I think I have heard Stewart Scott use the word in a couple of situations as well when giving highlights.

So it is a real word. My cousin was using this word about 2 years ago when I was in Dallas. Did not use it all the time but my cousin is a character and you have to know him to appreciate his energy. But that is enough about me, but it is a real slang word. But it is by far mostly used by southern individuals with a urban feel. Not used very much in my circles that I hang with.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Actually Rut does have a "n" in his word..."Chrunck"...maybe he changed it after this discussion.

Anyway, I am from the Pacific Northwest and have never heard this term used around here.

However, I did hear a NFL player on ESPN radio the other night use this term. Dan Patrick stopped him in mid-sentence and said, "What in the heck is Chunk?" He explained to him basically the same thing that Rut said...get excited, get hyped, etc.

Patrick kept trying to use it in his sentences...it was hilarious...he said he was going to use it in his next ESPN TV show.

RD