The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I had a 13 year old player go down tonight between quaters with a massive heart attack. I called game before anyone ever called 911. It took paramedics 6 minutes to get to the site, everyone was quite shaken up. A registerd nurse and a trained coach(required by the state) were preforming CPR. Paramedics had us clear the gym of everyone. Took them 15-20 minutes to get him with a stable pulse. Shockedh im 8-10 times. They assisted breathing. I went over to the 8th grade gym and had them call game and clear out as requested by paramedics. Everyone was gone as they wheeled him out. I met my co-official at the hospital to see a still very shaken up coach waiting for the boys mother who was not at the game but was on her way to the hospital. They were transporting him to a downtown hospital via LifeFlight as I was leaving. It is very uncertain weather or not he'll make it trough the night tonight. Brents mom walked in and saw us standing in the waiting room and saw our jackets. She walked up to us and said "I dont care what anyone has ever said about referees, but it touches me deep within to my heart that you guys cared enough to come to the hospital thank you"

Something that happens to one out of every 10,000 of us I bet. My mentor said he had this happen to him 2 years ago in a varsity game. Tommorow night is an off-night for me. I don't know if thats a good thing or not. But I pick back up friday night with freshman boys and a ms girls league on saturday.

I thought long and hard before posting this but its like the only thing I want to do is talk about it. His birthday is saturday. The KIDS ONLY 13 YEARS OLD!!!!
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 12:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Show Nuf!!!

Consider it done.

Kind of keeps things in perspective.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Consider your request honored.

You are a wonderful person to make this request. It attests to your character and certainly has made a great impression on this young man's mother.

Let you know in a future post a similar situation that happened while I was umpiring. Mine has a positive ending.

Sometimes we don't always understand why things happen but we can be assured that God is just and merciful and nothing can shake our faith in Him.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

My prayers are with him and his family and I hope all is well with you as you move on. I spent 18 years with the paramedics and saw similiar situations many times and it is always difficult for everyone. I am sure that regardless of the individual religious or spiritual philosophies, that all on the board join with us in this.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Tommorow night is an off-night for me. I don't know if thats a good thing or not. But I pick back up friday night with freshman boys and a ms girls league on saturday.
Personally, I would probably have a tough time wokring a game tomorrow night if I were in your shoes. it's probably best you're off.

We had a 38 year old football official collapse and die on the field during a rec game about 5 years ago. This guy was in the Air Force, the picture of health. You never know.

Keep us updated on the young man's condition. We'll keep him in our prayers.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

I can't even imagine the grief that family is experiencing. My daughter is 13. She plays basketball on 2 teams. This is every parent's nightmare. We will pray for him. Thanks for posting this and please let us know what happens.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

My prayers are with you--better yet i have a mom i am sure is in heaven--i will ask her for some divine intervention also.

Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

THANK YOU GUYS so much for the prayer.. I got a call from one of the coaches this morning, he's at the downtown hospital in critical but stable condition. Him making it through the night was the most important thing and he did it! He's still got a lot of fighting to do.

[Edited by ace on Jan 15th, 2004 at 09:47 AM]
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I can help not crying as I read your thread. My kids are a little older and I cant imagine what the family is going threw. My prayers are with them!
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ace, thanks for including us in your situation. As Rut said, it puts it all into perspective. Thanks also for updating the board.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Last thought, any chance you could post the players school and his name so we all here on the forum could send cards? That would say alot about us reffs that we actually do have harts and feelings.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

TPS at this time I cant release anything that I already haven't. The school and district are waiting to make a formal statement. Until then I can only discuss specifics within our officiating chapter and the school.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Thanks, keep us all posted.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
ace, I am not trying to get you divulge more than you should. But if anyone is really eager to send a card, perhaps you could tell us the player's first name and your address and they could send the card to you. Just a thought.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Praying for him and his family

Have been away from the board a few days, but just read this request.

Your request will be honored. We will be praying for the boy and his family.

Thanks
David