View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I had a 13 year old player go down tonight between quaters with a massive heart attack. I called game before anyone ever called 911. It took paramedics 6 minutes to get to the site, everyone was quite shaken up. A registerd nurse and a trained coach(required by the state) were preforming CPR. Paramedics had us clear the gym of everyone. Took them 15-20 minutes to get him with a stable pulse. Shockedh im 8-10 times. They assisted breathing. I went over to the 8th grade gym and had them call game and clear out as requested by paramedics. Everyone was gone as they wheeled him out. I met my co-official at the hospital to see a still very shaken up coach waiting for the boys mother who was not at the game but was on her way to the hospital. They were transporting him to a downtown hospital via LifeFlight as I was leaving. It is very uncertain weather or not he'll make it trough the night tonight. Brents mom walked in and saw us standing in the waiting room and saw our jackets. She walked up to us and said "I dont care what anyone has ever said about referees, but it touches me deep within to my heart that you guys cared enough to come to the hospital thank you"

Something that happens to one out of every 10,000 of us I bet. My mentor said he had this happen to him 2 years ago in a varsity game. Tommorow night is an off-night for me. I don't know if thats a good thing or not. But I pick back up friday night with freshman boys and a ms girls league on saturday.

I thought long and hard before posting this but its like the only thing I want to do is talk about it. His birthday is saturday. The KIDS ONLY 13 YEARS OLD!!!!