The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Player obtains his 5th foul. pulls his shirt over his head and runs off the court before the coach or player is told it is his 5th foul.
Is this a player T foul or a bench technical foul? IT would seem the player is still a player on the court and this would make it a player T?

Correct?
Stew in Va
CVBOA
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you call this, it's a player T. He's still a player until he and his coach are notified (I think both have to be told before he's considered bench personnel).
However, are you going to call this?
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

It would depend completely on the rest of the circumstances for me. If there is no attempt to "show up" anyone, and the kid is just leaving, I would be hard pressed to call a T. The ball is dead, there really is no damage, and as long as it is basically done in a sportsmanlike way, why muddy the waters? get the sub and move along in my book anyway.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
If you call this, it's a player T. He's still a player until he and his coach are notified (I think both have to be told before he's considered bench personnel).
However, are you going to call this?
No T was called. The player was not show boating- upset with self. I was just thinking about the situation for future reference

thanks
Stew
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Okay. Yeah, if he pops off to you, it's just a T on him, and he's just earned the distinction of being one of the few players each year to have 6 personal fouls in one game.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Okay. I think I was partly wrong. The player becomes bench personnel as soon as the coach is notified. So, once you tell the coach, the coach gets an indirect if the kid pops off.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 11:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Okay. Yeah, if he pops off to you, it's just a T on him, and he's just earned the distinction of being one of the few players each year to have 6 personal fouls in one game.
This is why you should not be so eagar to tell the player. The player rarely does not know they fouled out. Tell the coach ASAP so you do not have to deal with the fall out and he/she can deal with their behavior.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
This is why you should not be so eagar to tell the player. The player rarely does not know they fouled out. Tell the coach ASAP so you do not have to deal with the fall out and he/she can deal with their behavior.

Peace
JRut,
I think this is the exact reason I wish we weren't supposed to tell the coach first. If we tell the player first and he pops off the T is on him. If we tell the coach and then the player, which we are supposed to do, then he pops off the coach gets charged too, even though he didn't have the opportunity to cool him off.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A technical foul is not a personal foul. The player in this situation would only have five personal fouls.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
JRut,
I think this is the exact reason I wish we weren't supposed to tell the coach first. If we tell the player first and he pops off the T is on him. If we tell the coach and then the player, which we are supposed to do, then he pops off the coach gets charged too, even though he didn't have the opportunity to cool him off.
But that's why we tell the coach first. He's now responsible for any unsporting conduct by the player. It puts the burden on him to make sure the player behaves. He may not have the opportunity to cool him off while he's on the floor but he has greater teaching opportunites he can use by being proactive before we even get to this point.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
[B
But that's why we tell the coach first. He's now responsible for any unsporting conduct by the player. It puts the burden on him to make sure the player behaves. He may not have the opportunity to cool him off while he's on the floor but he has greater teaching opportunites he can use by being proactive before we even get to this point. [/B]
Yeah I agree with the greater prior opportunity to coach and teach the kid, and that is a good point. I just hate that in the heat of a game a kid loses his cool and the coach gets whacked too. My one and only Technical foul as a player was a situation like this. The official called a foul, I knew it was my 5th and I headed for the bench as he headed to the table...."hey you know you are missing a good game out here" well as you might have guessed that earned me my T, at the state tournament...It was one time and out of character and I would have hated for my coach to get charged as well...kind of funny at now and I still think it was clever LOL but unsporting just the same LOL